Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Carl Isken Koeln trivia

Article about: A leading reference book suggests that the Fa. Isken in Koeln/Rhein did not make caps during the III. Reich. In my collection is a cap from this firm (the top three photos here), which now h

Default Carl Isken Koeln trivia

A leading reference book suggests that the Fa. Isken in Koeln/Rhein did not make caps during the III. Reich.

In my collection is a cap from this firm (the top three photos here), which now has a twin recently sold in Europe. See bottom images.

The photos are not entirely of my making, but the object is in my collection, whereas the images with the white background are of the recently sold cap....(the bottom images) Carl Isken Koeln triviaCarl Isken Koeln triviaCarl Isken Koeln triviaCarl Isken Koeln triviaCarl Isken Koeln triviaCarl Isken Koeln triviaCarl Isken Koeln triviaCarl Isken Koeln trivia
    Last edited by Friedrich-Berthold; 04-16-2011 at 04:40 AM.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Carl Isken Koeln trivia
    P
    Many

Default Re: Carl Isken Koeln trivia

Quite astonishing how any of this survives at all in any condition, frankly.Carl Isken Koeln triviaCarl Isken Koeln triviaCarl Isken Koeln triviaCarl Isken Koeln trivia

Certain of these images are of objects in my possession in which case the photos are not of my making.

I did own the tunic with the DEUMO mark, but I sold it.....imagine that.

?

Just goes to show that all the reference books out there , some do get it wrong on occassion, yet if the actual collectors didnt have an example to prove otherwise, we,d be none the wiser, i just wonder how many times this occurs and we blissfully carry on thinking weve got it right,it brings another meaning to the word "minefield"

Quote by davejb View Post
    Just goes to show that all the reference books out there , some do get it wrong on occassion, yet if the actual collectors didnt have an example to prove otherwise, we,d be none the wiser, i just wonder how many times this occurs and we blissfully carry on thinking weve got it right,it brings another meaning to the word "minefield"
    Perhaps I overstate the issue. Please do not misconstrue my words as concerns historical research, as the book in question is a gold mine and useful for the beginner. I do not mean to denigrate its author, who apparently has abandoned the field to boot.

Like any book, like any work of human effort overall, it is not without flaws. The things I write are not without flaws, not without mistakes. On the other hand, I am particularly at pains here to point out little details which will enable you that read this to perhaps know more. Isken made different kinds of black SS caps, though one does not see them often. I am especially proud of the one I secured early in the last decade. That another cap of this type, of the Sonderanfertigung type, recently appeared is a minor note in the confusion that attends foetid woolens. According to another reference, the manufacture of such caps ceased in 1936....

Happy collecting to you all.

If one is in the book writing craft, as I am, then one quickly sees that other authors frequently copy from a handful, a process which can often wreak havoc with an understanding of the past.

The historical mis perceptions that eventuate on line have a special quality that concerns me, and I am confronted by this professionally. For those of us who might have spent impressionable years in libraries, the Wikipedia syndrome of one stop reference either does or does not increase one's capacity to do research. I think for those who cannot dwell in shelves of books in reality, something is lost by the facile ease of being able to look up virtually anything. Sometimes there is less here than meets the eye.

But all of this is too picayune by far and maybe I am just a luddite.

Nor do I want to suggest that the subject of SS regalia is so complex that no beginner can understand it. Far from it. There is a way to make sense of all of this, but this effort takes time and those who help themselves are those best able to master the task.

Moreover, I assign no moral or commercial value to one cap maker versus the other. I find this practice more than odd. My only goal is to secure authentic regalia. If the maker is seldom encountered, my response is: "so what?" The problem in this case of Isken, however, is that collectors might be spooked by the list in the secondary work. In reality this published list only comprises a small fraction of the firms in their totality that made caps in the III. Reich and were licensed by the RZM and is found in the Handbuch d RZM. Think of those that made such caps and had no license for whatever reason and were unlisted in same.Carl Isken Koeln triviaCarl Isken Koeln triviaCarl Isken Koeln triviaCarl Isken Koeln triviaCarl Isken Koeln triviaCarl Isken Koeln triviaCarl Isken Koeln triviaCarl Isken Koeln trivia

Moreover, the firm is apparently still in business. I wonder if their company records survived the war, or someone associated with the firm knows of its past? When I asked the Adalbert Breiter people in Munich in this connection a couple of years ago, I got a great big zero. Granted how badly damaged was Cologne in the final period of the war, I imagine that little survived, but who knows?

Here with an other "Isken / Köln" made cap...

I think that we can date between 1937-38...
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Carl Isken Koeln trivia   Carl Isken Koeln trivia  

Carl Isken Koeln trivia   Carl Isken Koeln trivia  

?

Very nice cap, Pascal!

Quote by Arran View Post
    Very nice cap, Pascal!
    Thanks Arran

Stumbled across this SA winter-weight Kepi by Isken on the web--1st one I can recall seeing:
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Carl Isken Koeln trivia   Carl Isken Koeln trivia  

Carl Isken Koeln trivia  
    “Show me the regulation, and I’ll show you the exception.”

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast