Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here

Charlemagne cuff title?

Article about: Hi I've had this cuff title for a few years now not quite sure what to do with it. Adrian suggested posting it on war relics some time ago but I'd forgotten the name of the forum and time ha

?

Default Charlemagne cuff title?

Hi
    I've had this cuff title for a few years now not quite sure what to do with it. Adrian suggested posting it on war relics some time ago but I'd forgotten the name of the forum and time has slipped by! I was searching the Internet for information on the Charlemagne division and war relics came up.
    I found this cuff title at a car boot sale here in Normandy, where I live, and have wondered since if it could possibly be genuine? The woman selling it, amongst some other odd bits and pieces of militaria, said it had all belonged to her son and had no idea what any of it was. I paid 8€ for it.
    I am well aware of the controversy and status etc of this ' holy grail' of SS cuff titles and have already been told it could be a fake. This dosen't suprise me as I'm aware of the extent of fakes at large.
    I'm no expert in this matter and am looking for the advice of one to try and verify whether or not it's original.

Any help or advice will be appreciated,

Philip Allen
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Charlemagne cuff title?   Charlemagne cuff title?  

Charlemagne cuff title?   Charlemagne cuff title?  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Charlemagne cuff title?
    P
    Many

?

Since your name is Philip and it's spelled the way it should be

I'll orientate your photos for you.

Charlemagne cuff title?Charlemagne cuff title?Charlemagne cuff title?Charlemagne cuff title?

I'll leave it to the experts to make the call on it.

Semper Fi
    Phil

Welcome to the forum. The Charlemagne cuff title is likely the rarest Waffen SS title. There is only one known genuine example. I picked it up in a vet lot in the early 60's. As it was a llisted title in what reference material existed at the time, I did not know it was something special. I eventually traded it off and it has been in the famous Delich collection for 50+ years. Unfortunately, yours is not genuine.
    BOB

LIFE'S LOSERS NEVER LEARN FROM THE ERROR OF THEIR WAYS.

That unit sure had a brief life! It is little wonder only one verified cuff title exists. Created late in '44 and virtually destroyed by the end of the war. Surprising the lone cuff title is even around. That is surely "the one that got away" Bob!

?

Hello Bob thankyou for your response.
    Having never actually seen exactly what the original looked like I would be interested, for future reference and not to waste any more hard earned euros, to know what the differences are. I'm not a collector but do often see things here in France that draw my attention, this having been one of them.

Regards,

Phil

Well , that one known example - in the Delich collection - is of BeVo ( machine woven ) construction .
    So it is not even the same type cufftitle as the RZM-style ( machine embroidered ) shown above by O.P. ..
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Charlemagne cuff title?  

?

Quote by Winkelman View Post
    Well , that one known example - in the Delich collection - is of BeVo ( machine woven ) construction .
    So it is not even the same type cufftitle as the RZM-style ( machine embroidered ) shown above by O.P. ..
    Thanks for the image. Yes not at all the same! but I'm intrigued as to the origins of my 'fake' as the materials used are certainly not modern neither the time it was made. I've seen enough original wartime stuff to realise this and although no expert (obviously) in Waffen SS insignia, I would like to try and know more.
    I was told some time ago of someone in the sixties living in Vienna who had got hold of a load of wartime materials and was making a bit of a living knocking cuff titles etc out. Is this true and does anyone know more about it?

Thanks again

Phil

Surely for the French who fought in this Division as souvenir, here in France you can find small badges too.
    The best Militaria forum in France is here : http://deutsch-militaria.forumactif.us/

?

not centered