Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 17 of 22 FirstFirst ... 7 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... LastLast

The David Delich Collection comes to auction

Article about: The David Delich Collection comes to auction at Hermann Historica in October. A portion of our esteemed colleague F-B's collection will also be at auction. While this may be an auction that

?

Quote by all1knew View Post
    is the preview up yet anywhere?

William Kramer
    Yes, William. Get a coffee and check this out: A100 The Dave Delich Collection - Part II

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement The David Delich Collection comes to auction
    P
    Many

Hello, thanks for the link !
    The best Militaria forum in France is here : http://deutsch-militaria.forumactif.us/

?

I've been so excited about this auction that I have not really delved into the hidden costs. It's been brought to my attention that the so called "Buyers premium" has now been boosted up to a whopping 29.5% since the previous auction. Coupled with a 2.9% fee for use of a credit card, an infuriating common practice now that shifts the normal business expense onto the consumer.

The conversion rate of euro to USD for those of us here in the States about 9%. For those overseas you have to deal with the horrendous VAT taxes. To add insult to injury my credit card company also charges 3% for a foreign transaction fee. Of course the overinflated shipping charges are yet to be determined. That's roughly 44% above opening bid for a bidder like me

The sheer greed that goes into calculating how to squeeze every coin out of you is maddening. These are two world class collections that could fetch astronomical numbers with out having to nickel and dime you to death. Sad to say this auction is only designed for very deep pocket collectors and investors. I can't even fathom dealers getting in on this as there will be no meat left on the bones for resale.

I don't mean to be a killjoy, I'm just really disappointed. This damn hobby drives away those who truly love these artifacts and encourages the profiteers to continually gouge us.

Basta!
    Regards, Al

You are totaly right when speaking about investors, in this hobby.
    This is what it became.
    But lets say we have had a mighty pleasant time, in the senventies and eighties finding our stuff at more reasonable prices, however it was even then;... expensive ...in a way.

Here in France you 'll find no militaria in junk shops, anymore. Compared to 40 years ago, when every antique shop had a small "militaria corner".
    When I ask shop owners if they have any, they go like;" everybody wants militaria" ...

A strange phenomenon is also to see that some (not all of course!) artifacts, in auctions, go 2 to 3 times the price of the same artifact offered by me or you on a forum or a fair...

And then ( and I know; I am repeating my self) there is the risk of having your parcel lost and not having any response or support what so ever from the auction house or the mail delivery service... I still didn't had any answer from HH about the parcel they have send to the wrong adress and that dissapeared since theyr last spring sale, holding for 10 K of artifacts....
    Always looking for Belgian Congo stuff!
    http://out-of-congo.eklablog.com/

cheers
    |<ris

I knew many years ago what was to come. it was a gut instinct but as time moved forward one could see where collecting militaria was going financially. Some dealers had an attitude that if someone wants what they have they will pay. That was borne out by seeing a certain dealer from Long Beach in the way their business was run. I am no expert by any means but do understand how businesses work. Now with everything becoming so darn expensive the burden of what's needed for continuing a certain lifestyle for those zero investing businesses as that becomes the collectors mill stone with auctions.

We all have a choice, to either participate or step aside and watch.

Knowing early on that greed would become the mainstay of all of it, I obtained as much as I could. I viewed it as an investment, some say that's not a good word to use for collectors. I digress, it most certainly is and it's spot on with the proof now being seen with these astronomical fees some auction houses levy. Banks want in on it as well and gleefully add their commissions for their systems use and even governments become a layer of people with their hand out, just because they can make laws, enforce them and do the same as mafioso organizations had done in the past. So why should not collectors profit from sales of what they knowledgably obtained & held onto for so long?

While auction houses add no value to anything other than being a middle man with no investment in what they auction, should not the collector who sells be the one to make the most of the sale?

Anymore it is not greed for the selling collector, it's survival.

With the subject at hand I can say that what was paid for now being auctioned off is no where close to what is being stated as starting bid.

As an example the Germania probe cuff title, that was one that when obtained was obtained for no more than 2 or 3 grand US $ as that item was held for many years squirreled out of sight until now. They start bid is $10,000.00!

Back in the late 90's to 2005 or so and enlisted A-SS visors were being sold for 2-$3,000,00 on the internet and even less at shows. Look at the listed prices....it's gone crazy and these will no doubt be bid up a serious %. I could go on and on about it but what's at hand is the reality collectors face and worse, new collectors have little clue on what was happening just 3 decades ago to have any gauge to measure against of what was going on in those days just 2 or 3 decades ago.

it's become a pay up or don't participate deal. I am in the latter part thankfully. I see a ton of items that would be great to have but realize being raped to get them is not where I want to be. So I enjoy the pictures and the stories behind them as that costs in time.

I certainly hope that anyone who participates can win what they are after and can afford to hold their won items for many years to come, otherwise those hot coals one is being raked over will burn even more intensely.

?

I definitely prefer collector to collector deals. The auction houses seem to just drive the items further away from my financial abilities. Sadly so many pieces of the pie increasing the price. Dealers seem to follow suite as well. They watch the auction houses and Unfortunately their commission increases.

This continues on and on. Price increases and items then get split up. Notice items are very rarely sold as a set. Sad part is lots of these wonderful items were sets when in the collectors hands. But greed split them apart. I will hope that I might be able to aquire something out of this auction however I will not hold my breath. 44 percent hurts.

Either way I will continue to learn and grow as a collector because of wonderful items like these.

Good luck everyone.

Tim

offcourse like all it is a "numbers game" ... the more people want it the higher the price goes.....But that is only for the item at the auction...... the 44% you mention is a gigantic amount on all articles as an "add on" for the "service" the auction house delivers which indeed the word Greed is the perfect one to use here......

YOU GUYS THINK YOU HAVE IT BAD 500euro is $1000 nz $500pounds is $1100. and $500 usa is $847. then. its cost $300nz for every item at customs. with a value of $1000 to get it in

and then you have over. oz now you cant buy or sell. or you will be put on the terrorist list.

bevo militaria.. just to name a few new dealers is part of the new greed. till it comes to your own stuff. then they say its worth dirt

Page 17 of 22 FirstFirst ... 7 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... LastLast