Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

An Interesting Himmler Portrait

Article about: Hi Folks, Here is a Himmler photo saved from an earlier thread; I believe it was posted by F-B. Two interesting features (at least to me)- Himmler wears a silk-top visor cap in its earliest

HPL2008: Not that it is of great importance here, but the claim that Hugo Boss designed the SS uniform is a myth. Boss was just one of many companies that manufactured uniforms during the Third Reich.

That is correct!! Hugo Boss is given too much credit!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement An Interesting Himmler Portrait
    P
    Many

Quote by Wilhelm Saris View Post
    HPL2008: Not that it is of great importance here, but the claim that Hugo Boss designed the SS uniform is a myth. Boss was just one of many companies that manufactured uniforms during the Third Reich.

That is correct!! Hugo Boss is given too much credit!
    According to the UM, Holters was involved in the design of the SA uniform, which implies he was also involved in the SS uniform. The thing about Boss is a silly
    urban legend and fine example of very sloppy research. Wolfgang added the Holters article here.An Interesting Himmler Portrait

For the benefit of the non-German speaking members, a translation of the above article may be found here:

Muetzenfabrik

(I see that I wrote that post more than half a decade ago. My, how time flies...)

Quote by HPL2008 View Post
    For the benefit of the non-German speaking members, a translation of the above article may be found here:

Muetzenfabrik

(I see that I wrote that post more than half a decade ago. My, how time flies...)
    and a half decade of your hard work here has made this place a better and happier place. Hurra!

Boss was one of thousands and thousands of licensed Dienstkleidung and or Massarbeit vendors permitted by the RZM.

I have found no evidence that he designed the SS uniform, nor that the graphic artist, v. Diebitsch did, either. The latter
    joined the SS well after the black uniform appeared. Whereas if Holters helped in 1932 to design the SA uniform, he
    might have well designed the SS uniform at the same time, i.e. in the summer of 1932. The article makes clear he
    was an old Nazi, and the UM was the hooray sheet for old Nazis in the rag trade, especially the clique in Berlin.
    It is a story in its own.

The Hugo Boss legend is so typical of the level with this stuff.An Interesting Himmler PortraitAn Interesting Himmler Portrait

Quote by HPL2008 View Post
    Ultimately, what anybody hoped is known only to themselves and if the Nazis seriously wanted you dead, you were dead.

Let's just say that Himmler wouldn't have shed a tear had Gesche been KIA and that there would have been a good likelihood of that happening had he actually taken up service with the Dirlewanger Brigade. Still, that didn't happen...: By a Himmler order of 20 December 1944, Gesche got busted down nine ranks from Obersturmbannführer to Unterscharführer (i.e. from Lieutenant Colonel to Corporal) and was to be transferred to Dirlewanger's lot.

However, others - including Fegelein - intervened on his behalf and pointed out to Himmler that Hitler had expressly forbidden any members of his personal bodyguard detail to be transferred to the Eastern Front. Instead, he fought with the 16th SS Division on the Italian front and eventually went into U.S. captivity. He died in 1980.

The decorations on the bar are:

• SS-Dienstauszeichnung 2. Stufe [SS Long Service Award 2nd Class, for 12 years service]
    • Dienstauszeichnung der NSDAP in Silber [NSDAP Long Service Award in Silver, for 15 years service]
    • Dienstauszeichnung der NSDAP in Bronze [NSDAP Long Service Award in Bronze, for 10 years service]
    • Ehrenzeichen für deutsche Volkspflege 1. Stufe [Decoration for German Social Welfare 1. Class]
    • Deutsches Olympia-Ehrenzeichen 1. Klasse [German Olympic Games Decoration 1. Class]
    • Medaille zur Erinnerung an den 1. März 1938 [Commemorative Medal of 1st March 1938, i.e. the Austrian Annexation]
    • Medaille zur Erinnerung an den 1. Oktober 1938 [Commemorative Medal of 1st October 1938, i.e. the Sudetenland Annexation], with:
    • Spange "Prager Burg" ["Prague Castle" Clasp]
    • Medaille zur Erinnerung an die Heimkehr des Memellandes [Commemorative Medal for the Return of the Memelland]
    • Deutsches Schutzwall-Ehrenzeichen ["West Wall" Medal]

Yes, of course.

Not that it is of great importance here, but the claim that Hugo Boss designed the SS uniform is a myth. Boss was just one of many companies that manufactured uniforms during the Third Reich.
    I went back and checked my book and it has exactly what you have stated. It is actually about the GESTAPO and not the SS per se. Glad at least that part is accurate! Thank you for sharing your knowledge! One last question. Do you think that Himmlers' meeting with Bernadotte (spelling?) was really meant to try to arrange a surrender or merely a way for him to try to save himself? How could a surrender have been coordinated with Hitler still very much alive and issuing orders?

Andreas is always right.

The best biography of Himmler is that of Peter Longerich. Read it, and you can forget all the other loopy books.
    It is a matter of record that der treue Heinrich tried to save his wretched a$$ with his own negotiations on various fronts at the end.
    He is a despicable historical figure and we do him far too much honor with re posting his very odd smile here.
    But there are others today eager to take his place....An Interesting Himmler PortraitAn Interesting Himmler Portrait

The other book you can read is that of Joachim Fest, whose work was partially the basis for the film Der Untergang. The last days thing has been done many, many times, but Fest's work is reliable and not prone to fantasies.

Bernadotte also wrote his memoirs early on, if memory serves.....

Maybe what the SS collection needs is a Heini H. Barbie in order to reach the highest order of sublime.An Interesting Himmler Portrait

Quote by Friedrich-Berthold View Post
    Maybe what the SS collection needs is a Heini H. Barbie in order to reach the highest order of sublime.An Interesting Himmler Portrait
    Hard to believe someone made a toy in his image. I will look for those books. I also want to find one on Goebbels. What a strange little man he seems to have been. AKA "The Poison Dwarf"

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast