Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Interesting photograph.

Article about: Very cool photo. I have a named SS helmet to a soldier who may be in this photo! His records show at one point he was in one of the Regimental bands for SS-Tk.

?

Very cool photo. I have a named SS helmet to a soldier who may be in this photo! His records show at one point he was in one of the Regimental bands for SS-Tk.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Interesting photograph.
    P
    Many

?

Very nice! I love this image. Thanks for sharing it. I can almost see SS bolts on the small podium type things in front of them in the one image. I'm sure there's no correlation but interesting nonetheless .

DougB: that's awesome! I hope its true. If you can find his image and or rank at the time this image was taken, you may find your man!
    Last edited by Dean; 08-24-2013 at 12:24 PM.

Thank you all, and Doug, how amazing it would be to identify the individuals helmet you retain to someone within the image, that is if he is indeed in the above picture. If I can help in anyway, it would be an honor.

?

I can see the resemblance to you in that last image. You must be very proud.
    Last edited by Dean; 08-24-2013 at 12:26 PM.

Quote by Dean View Post
    Very intriguing . I suppose we all have our reasons for interest in such things..but as I said, some will never understand.
    My great grandfather was recruited by the SS in Lithuania. He was eager to fight the red commie beast but when it came down to killing the Jews , he decided it was not a good thing. He was then imprisoned until my my great grandmother , his wife, who was luckily from a wealthy land owning family, bribed or bartered his way out of jail with paintings and money.
    Fascinating family story Dean, which makes me curious on how and who the WSS were recruiting in Lithuania. Im well aware of how, SS were getting their "volunteers" in Estonia and Latvia, but I always heard that they gave up doing it in Lithuania. If you have more info Im really interested.

Cheers, Mads

?

Quote by youthcollector1 View Post
    Thank you all, and Doug, how amazing it would be to identify the individuals helmet you retain to someone within the image, that is if he is indeed in the above picture. If I can help in anyway, it would be an honor.
    I will try to look up his file this weekend. His name was Goldbach. This was his helmet.

Come to think of it, I am sure it was not the Artillery Regiment. He was also in the Germania Regiment if memory serves me correctly.

Attachment 558499

Attachment 558500

?

Mads,thanks for your interest in my family history. The info I gave is all I know. I was told this by my grandma. Her husbands father didn't like to say much about the war, but this is all I know. I wish I could get more info but him and his son are dead now. All that's left is my grandma
    As for how recruiting was done in Lithuania , I will explain what I was told..The Baltic people dispised the Bolsheviks and, as the old saying goes.." The enemy of my enemy is my friend." This is all I can add regarding that.
    Last edited by Dean; 08-24-2013 at 12:32 PM.

?

Here is a a large size roster, or group photo of W-SS soldiers I have had in my collection for a while. This is among my favorites and is framed on my wall above my desk in my war room/office. This photo is intriguing and I ponder it often. Half have CT's and from different groups originally. Some don't even have collar devices. They are posing in front of four trucks or troop/supply transports. This is a large photo, measuring around 10x7 inches.
    I posted this Over a year and a half ago on Bill T's thread. Sorry if you have seen it already.

Also, this is dated at least 1943, due to the m43 cap on the officer in the middle.
    Attached Images Attached Images Interesting photograph.  Interesting photograph.  Interesting photograph.  Interesting photograph.  Interesting photograph.  Interesting photograph.  Interesting photograph. 
    Last edited by Dean; 08-24-2013 at 12:37 PM.

Quote by Dean View Post
    Mads,thanks for your interest in my family history. The info I gave is all I know. I was told this by my grandma. Her husbands father didn't like to say much about the war, but this is all I know. I wish I could get more info but they are all dead now.
    As for how recruiting was done in Lithuania , I think I already explained. The Baltic people disposed the Bolsheviks and, as the old saying goes.." The enemy of my enemy is my friend." This is all I can can add regarding that.
    Unfortunately time is ticking, and there are less and less vets left to tell their stories.

The majority of the Latvian and Estonian SS-"volunteers" were conscripted by force in 1943-44 on Himmler's order, which resulted in 1 Estonian and 2 Latvian fully sized SS-Divisions. Obviously there were still a large minority who had freely volunteered in the beginning of the war.

As to Lithuania there was never formed an SS-Division even though they have the largest population of the 3 Baltic countries, that makes me think that somehow conditions must have been different than in the other 2 countries.

Cheers, Mads

Edit:

Great photos btw, Do you know which unit?

?

Ive heard there were unofficial groups during that time, they grabbed whoever would help fight the commies And no, I told you everything I was told by my grandma. Sorry if I don't have more info. Who knows, maybe she was making it up. I don't know why she would do that. This is just what I was told.
    Last edited by Dean; 08-24-2013 at 04:55 PM.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast