Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Latvian volunteer legion cap badge

Article about: Hi all This ground dug cap badge is one of our recent finds. After research it is associated to the Latvian volunteer legion but we couldn’t find any photos to proof it. What is your opini

Default Latvian volunteer legion cap badge

Hi all
    This ground dug cap badge is one of our recent finds. After research it is associated to the Latvian volunteer legion but we couldn’t find any photos to proof it.

What is your opinion about it? Do you have a photo where it is visible?

Thanks in advance for your feedback.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Latvian volunteer legion cap badge   Latvian volunteer legion cap badge  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Latvian volunteer legion cap badge
    P
    Many

?

Hello, an internet search reveals many variations of this badge being sold on ebay and elsewhere as Latvian First Republic Army Cockade. I see no association with SS volunteers in my search.

LATVIA LATVIAN FIRST Republic Army Military Brass Cap Badge Cockade $21.99 - PicClick

LATVIA LATVIAN REPUBLIC Army Military Brass Cap Badge Cockade $7.99 - PicClick
    Regards, Al

Thanks for your feedback.

Maybe a bit more background about this find:
    It was found in Germany in a temporary PWE of the US army. In the same PWE some other guys found also ID tags of the Latvian SS.
    So it must be that the badge was associated to a soldier fighting on German side. The Latvian first republic was between both world wars and ended with the occupation in 1940.
    So it seems like this badge was something like a “traditional badge” for the guys who fought against Russia.

Here are two other search results - not from eBay :

& WW2 original LATVIJAN CAP BADGE – 15 DIV. SS “LETTLAND” metal detecting find. | Welcome - RADmilitaria

Patch, The Latvian Legion + Cockade, Latvia

?

Yes, that makes sense. I can't tell what badge the fellow on the left is wearing from the thread below.

Latvian Legion

I normally associated this Division with the crude Latvian type skulls like these below.

Credit: Winkleman

Credit: Telesmanich
    Regards, Al

Thanks for sharing the photos.
    I think the guy on the left is having a “normal skull”.

As there are no known photos until yet, it seems like that only a few “old volunteers” still used this badge.
    Hopefully someone will be able to share some more information about this.