Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

M35 tunic Waffen SS leibstandarte Adolf Hitler

Article about: Hi guys have been offered this tunic if authentic then this is something you do not see very often as far as I know enclose some pictures and also it would be great to hear from you I believ

Default M35 tunic Waffen SS leibstandarte Adolf Hitler

Hi guys have been offered this tunic if authentic then this is something you do not see very often as far as I know enclose some pictures and also it would be great to hear from you I believe this jacket is good but will wait for your confirmation regards
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture M35 tunic Waffen SS leibstandarte Adolf Hitler   M35 tunic Waffen SS leibstandarte Adolf Hitler  

M35 tunic Waffen SS leibstandarte Adolf Hitler   M35 tunic Waffen SS leibstandarte Adolf Hitler  

M35 tunic Waffen SS leibstandarte Adolf Hitler   M35 tunic Waffen SS leibstandarte Adolf Hitler  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement M35 tunic Waffen SS leibstandarte Adolf Hitler
    P
    Many

?

I am curious how this would be a LAH tunic?

If I were to purchase this (assuming for the moment that it is authentic), I'd be highly cautious of potentially introducing a moth-infested garment to my collection. Moths are not to be taken lightly, as they can cause very extensive damage before the infestation becomes apparent. If you're lucky and catch them early, infested garments can be wrapped up in plastic bags and left in the freezer for a few days to kill the larvae and eggs. As it is, the existing damage alone would be enough to put me off.

B.B.

I was also sent these pictures for comparison
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture M35 tunic Waffen SS leibstandarte Adolf Hitler   M35 tunic Waffen SS leibstandarte Adolf Hitler  

M35 tunic Waffen SS leibstandarte Adolf Hitler  

I appreciate your help on this one just wondering would the moth killer that you hang in the closet it would be good enough? and to put this tunic in an isolated closet such as my girlfriends for a few days with this product to kill them off
    Quote by BrodieBartfast View Post
    If I were to purchase this (assuming for the moment that it is authentic), I'd be highly cautious of potentially introducing a moth-infested garment to my collection. Moths are not to be taken lightly, as they can cause very extensive damage before the infestation becomes apparent. If you're lucky and catch them early, infested garments can be wrapped up in plastic bags and left in the freezer for a few days to kill the larvae and eggs. As it is, the existing damage alone would be enough to put me off.

B.B.

Jamoros,

You would really need to completely isolate this from other clothing items and place in plastic in the freezer for a few weeks.

The process is multifaceted for freezing the eggs/larvae. The first stage of freezing will kill off any live insects. Once the 2 weeks are up you will need to remove the clothing from the bag let the uniform "defrost" for lack of better terms and very gently vacuum the uniform with a variable speed (on low) vacuum cleaner. Ensure you get under the arms and in the pockets and flaps. Once done you will need to place the uniform in a clean plastic bag and then back in the freezer again for a second go around. This second freeze will kill the eggs (if any) and any other living larvae. After a few weeks, remove from the freezer and repeat the process of vacuuming. After the second time any larvae or eggs or living moths should all be gone.

Of course caution will have to be taken and periodic inspections done on the garment. Moth balls and cedar chips in the pockets will also help to preserve and hopefully stop any further deterioration.

As far as the authenticity of the uniform being LSSAH that would be a very far stretch without direct provenance. The photos don't really do justice,, I am not seeing the side holes for the belt holder but I am not well versed on SS uniforms so I would wait for more thoughts.

If it were me personally I would not want to bring this into my collection based on the condition as well as not knowing if it is a Third Reich period piece..

Good luck

Stay safe

Smitty

Following your great advise I will pass on this tunic no worth the risk taking to bring in insects to my place
    Quote by Rakkasan187 View Post
    Jamoros,

You would really need to completely isolate this from other clothing items and place in plastic in the freezer for a few weeks.

The process is multifaceted for freezing the eggs/larvae. The first stage of freezing will kill off any live insects. Once the 2 weeks are up you will need to remove the clothing from the bag let the uniform "defrost" for lack of better terms and very gently vacuum the uniform with a variable speed (on low) vacuum cleaner. Ensure you get under the arms and in the pockets and flaps. Once done you will need to place the uniform in a clean plastic bag and then back in the freezer again for a second go around. This second freeze will kill the eggs (if any) and any other living larvae. After a few weeks, remove from the freezer and repeat the process of vacuuming. After the second time any larvae or eggs or living moths should all be gone.

Of course caution will have to be taken and periodic inspections done on the garment. Moth balls and cedar chips in the pockets will also help to preserve and hopefully stop any further deterioration.

As far as the authenticity of the uniform being LSSAH that would be a very far stretch without direct provenance. The photos don't really do justice,, I am not seeing the side holes for the belt holder but I am not well versed on SS uniforms so I would wait for more thoughts.

If it were me personally I would not want to bring this into my collection based on the condition as well as not knowing if it is a Third Reich period piece..

Good luck

Stay safe

Smitty

Enclose these two general overview pictures of the tunic for future reference

Quote by jamoros View Post
    I appreciate your help on this one just wondering would the moth killer that you hang in the closet it would be good enough? and to put this tunic in an isolated closet such as my girlfriends for a few days with this product to kill them off
    Smitty has already covered the subject a lot better than I ever could, but I can add some personal experience to this.

For a long period of time, I had an M42 combat tunic displayed on a mannequin torso in my collection room. There was some existing moth damage, but nothing more than you'd expect on a garment its age, and it appeared to be inactive. The tunic had a plastic cover over it to keep dust off, but it wasn't fully sealed. All seemed well, until one day I noticed a moth crawling over the sleeve beneath the cover. I took it off the mannequin, opened it up and found quite a lot of mild damage to the silk inner lining.

The way I dealt with it differs from Smitty's method, and wasn't quite as intensive, but it worked for me in this instance. The first thing I did was vacuum the tunic, inside and out. I went over the exterior, then the lining. I vacuumed the inside of all the pockets, then turned the sleeves inside out and did those, paying close attention to folds and joins in the fabric. With that done, I double-bagged it and kept it in the freezer for three days. After those three days had passed, I left it out to return to room temperature, then placed it inside a garment bag on a hanger in my wardrobe. I've checked it periodically since, and haven't discovered any further damage or signs of live insects. All's well that ends well! (Though not for those little clothes-munching buggers, of course).

In the case of a collection with multiple uniforms, it helps to rotate them regularly. Moths hate light, and they hate being disturbed. Just taking the uniform outside in the fresh air and giving it a brief shake can be enough to discourage them. Sticky moth traps are great, too. They won't help clear up an infestation in progress, but they will discourage one from happening in the first place by killing the adult moths before they can breed. I tend to avoid moth paper, as I've found it can stain fabrics in some circumstances. Avoid mothballs, too, as there's some evidence the naphthalene they contain may be carcinogenic.

Regards, B.B.

?

This is not a LAH tunic. The LAH tunic should have 5 Buttons to Close the collar. This one is an open neck tunic like worn by the SD for an example.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast