Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Original SS tabs???

Article about: Hello just got this yesterday and I’m posting them to double check If this is original. My grandfather has the book cloth insignia of the ss and let me barrow it before I made this purchas

Default Original SS tabs???

Hello just got this yesterday and I’m posting them to double check If this is original. My grandfather has the book cloth insignia of the ss and let me barrow it before I made this purchase. I’ve read and looked over it extensively and thought this was a good tab. Can you guys please give your opinions. I’m on the verge of getting out of this hobby if this turns out to be fake and praying that this is a good one please let me know your thoughts thanks.

Original SS tabs???Original SS tabs???

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Original SS tabs???
    P
    Many

Not a fan of the shape of the runes on this one, hope I'm wrong.

What other ways are there to identify an original tab like I said my grandfather and his other collecting friend said it looked good (not trying to denounce your opinion) is it common in this hobby for some people to tell you it’s good and others tell you not? I’m really looking for some help here and I will take all and any information that helps. I’m 15 years old and been in the hobby for a year. So I’m still a newbie.

When looking at tabs I first look at the rune shape and the buckram backing (which I do like with your tab). I'm no expert when it comes to SS tabs so as I said before I hope and I could be wrong. I attached an original for comparison, notice how the runes are different.

Its up to you to decide who you want to believe in this hobby, not me. You are leaping into one of the most faked items there is when it comes to collecting Third Reich memorabilia so as a new collector you have to tread carefully. But yes, occasionally there are items from time to time where some collectors have conflicting opinions. The bottom line is its your money and its your collection so do whatever makes you happy.

I'm sure more experienced collectors will chime in soon so wait patiently and I hope you dont quit this hobby if the worst case scenario occurs.

-John
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Original SS tabs???  

Ok thanks John I really do appreciate it, like I said I’m 15 have to save most of the money I make for a car when I’m 16 so being able at add to my collection it something I truly do treasure it’s good news to here about the buckram backing so I guess there is a faint light at the end of the tunnel. Thanks man really do appreciate from the bottom of my heart.

I agree with John, the runes simply aren't right. The silver cord material is also the usual 70's fake type.

-Joel

Ok thanks guys just found this one on Tomas Whitman’s website that is very similar to mine any more thoughts.

Original SS tabs???

Wittmann's example does have thicker runes, but compared to your tab, it is very different. Wittmann's example is more symmetrical and has the correct cord material. It is also thinner from the middle, from where the tips of the runes meet.

-Joel
    Last edited by Blitzvogel; 09-06-2020 at 03:29 PM.

Thomas Wittmann is not the go to reference when it comes to collecting cloth insignia. As for his example I dont like it either. You are much better off looking at sites like Hannahs Reich when collecting SS memorabilia.

-John

CBH
    ?

The opening post is a fake tab, they should be evenly spaced.
    The bottom of the middle of the first ruin should line up with the top of the next.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast