Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here

Single SS-Totenkopfverbände Hauptscharführer/Sturmscharführer shoulder board - what's it worth?

Article about: Hello, I've picked up this verified vet bring back lot and have a question on one of the items. Swastikas edited because of the site he was selling them on. Currently in the mail to me. I be

Default Single SS-Totenkopfverbände Hauptscharführer/Sturmscharführer shoulder board - what's it worth?

Hello, I've picked up this verified vet bring back lot and have a question on one of the items. Swastikas edited because of the site he was selling them on. Currently in the mail to me.

I believe all of the shoulder boards were uniform removed.

The veteran was Cleo William "Bud" Still. Company D, 26th Infantry Regiment. He was a correspondent and later a guard at the Nuremberg tribunal. His son in law sold me these items and had a separate grouping of the Nuremberg items that went to a different buyer. I have a written letter from the son in law and photos of the veteran.

***I am aware the pips are technically out of order for a Sturmscharführer, but some other well known collectors did not feel that was necessarily a concern. Perhaps the veteran added a third so I am saying Hauptscharführer or Sturmscharführer***

Single SS-Totenkopfverbände Hauptscharführer/Sturmscharführer shoulder board - what's it worth?Single SS-Totenkopfverbände Hauptscharführer/Sturmscharführer shoulder board - what's it worth?

I have been unable to find any other examples of the SS-Totenkopfverbände Hauptscharführer/Sturmscharführer shoulder board or SS-Totenkopfverbände shoulder boards in general for sale. I would like to know for my personal records on the value so I can amend my collectors insurance policy appropriately. I believe it is the 4th pattern version based on the example seen here SS Collar Tab & Shoulder Board Identification Gallery

Single SS-Totenkopfverbände Hauptscharführer/Sturmscharführer shoulder board - what's it worth?

A member on another forum argued that my piping was white and was a Panzer board, but I've put a collage together with the image they provided and there is a clear distinction that mine are not white. From left to right in the collage: Their Panzer board, the example from SS Collar Tab & Shoulder Board Identification Gallery and the last two are my piece.

The only white that's present is maybe a small moth nip in the green circle exposing some of the fill. If this was aged, that should match the rest.

The stitching pattern of the tresse circled in yellow slightly resembles the two in red, but the two parallel stitch lines securing it does not.

Single SS-Totenkopfverbände Hauptscharführer/Sturmscharführer shoulder board - what's it worth?Single SS-Totenkopfverbände Hauptscharführer/Sturmscharführer shoulder board - what's it worth?Single SS-Totenkopfverbände Hauptscharführer/Sturmscharführer shoulder board - what's it worth?

A couple other items I am trying to confirm, so if anyone has any insight please share:

I paid $235 including shipping for the entire lot, so a good deal.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Single SS-Totenkopfverbände Hauptscharführer/Sturmscharführer shoulder board - what's it worth?
    P
    Many

?

Looks like it was white to me too. It doesn't look like lite brown to me. Just looks dirty.

Quote by jHAM View Post
    Looks like it was white to me too. It doesn't look like lite brown to me. Just looks dirty.
    I would be inclined to agree now after a spirited discussion over at WAF. My understanding is that SS Infantry/Panzergrenadier used white piping interchangeably.