Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

SS Armband with RZM Tag - Would like Opinions Please

Article about: Yes...Thank You Dr.CMH....for your photo essay. As the saying goes..." a picture is worth a thousand words". Best Regards, Ed

?

Quote by Title King View Post
    I would tend to disagree that all have a patina?

I have quite a few pieces of ss cloth that do not really show age--but then again black wool doesn't stain like white piping on visors.
    Yes, it is a bit difficult to see a patina on black cloth. The “patina” as it were, in black cloth, or rather the difference in the way it reacts to different light sources, is rooted in the modern synthetic dyes versus the natural plant based and earlier organic dyes used in textiles of the period.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement SS Armband with RZM Tag - Would like Opinions Please
    P
    Many

Quote by DrCMH View Post
    Yes, it is a bit difficult to see a patina on black cloth. The “patina” as it were, in black cloth, or rather the difference in the way it reacts to different light sources, is rooted in the modern synthetic dyes versus the natural plant based and earlier organic dyes used in textiles of the period.
    I associate myself with the above. In fact, in my experience, these items often fade from sunlight and are hardly dye fast at all.
    The alu insignia also changes its appearance due to oxidation or simple decay. My friend is well-schooled in the natural sciences far more than I am.
    Also, in my time at this, I have spent a lot of effort with a loupe, and you can see all sorts of things that are less obvious to the naked eye.

Niko has got to maneuver himself to a place to examine a lot of real textiles at close range.
    The digital pictures are a chimera.

Here this image:SS Armband with RZM Tag - Would like Opinions PleaseSS Armband with RZM Tag - Would like Opinions PleaseSS Armband with RZM Tag - Would like Opinions PleaseSS Armband with RZM Tag - Would like Opinions PleaseSS Armband with RZM Tag - Would like Opinions Please

Don't look now, but I see lots of patina as well as outright dirt.
    Last edited by Friedrich-Berthold; 01-04-2020 at 06:26 AM.

?

See the following for a simplified primer on absorption spectroscopy and the differing natural black dyes:

Natural Black Dyes - Asian Textile Studies

The manner in which the textiles we are concerned with were dyed is unknown to me, however, it is clearly evident that techniques evolve over time and that the absorptive qualities of dyes do differ based upon selected agents. Unless the manufacturer gets it just right, and I don’t know if the formulas and methods for the dyes used are published, there will be detectable differences.

Quote by DrCMH View Post
    See the following for a simplified primer on absorption spectroscopy and the differing natural black dyes:

Natural Black Dyes - Asian Textile Studies
    I said my friend was well schooled in the natural and physical sciences.

We have included the contemporary specifications about the dyestuffs via the RZM at the time.
    Actually, they are also in Beaver or Wilkins book, i.e, the images of the RZM specifications for textiles.

Nor do I want to quibble about this, but Niko is a young person trying to find his way via the digital pictures, and my point is that much of
    what we know, we learn from the hands-on, eyes-on, and nose-on examination.

?

Fingerspitzengefühl is a word worth knowing.

Quote by DrCMH View Post
    Fingerspitzengefühl is a word worth knowing.
    Together with much else, to be sure, and you have done a fine job of the task and then some. Hurra!SS Armband with RZM Tag - Would like Opinions PleaseSS Armband with RZM Tag - Would like Opinions PleaseSS Armband with RZM Tag - Would like Opinions PleaseSS Armband with RZM Tag - Would like Opinions PleaseSS Armband with RZM Tag - Would like Opinions PleaseSS Armband with RZM Tag - Would like Opinions PleaseSS Armband with RZM Tag - Would like Opinions PleaseSS Armband with RZM Tag - Would like Opinions PleaseSS Armband with RZM Tag - Would like Opinions Please

?

The scars of age on the black tunics, a patina, of sorts:

SS Armband with RZM Tag - Would like Opinions Please SS Armband with RZM Tag - Would like Opinions Please SS Armband with RZM Tag - Would like Opinions Please SS Armband with RZM Tag - Would like Opinions Please SS Armband with RZM Tag - Would like Opinions Please

80-some odd years takes a toll.

Quote by DrCMH View Post
    The scars of age on the black tunics, a patina, of sorts:

SS Armband with RZM Tag - Would like Opinions Please SS Armband with RZM Tag - Would like Opinions Please SS Armband with RZM Tag - Would like Opinions Please SS Armband with RZM Tag - Would like Opinions Please SS Armband with RZM Tag - Would like Opinions Please

80-some odd years takes a toll.
    Superb

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast