Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

SS Commandant??

Article about: I have just brought an 1939 Eisernes Kreuz 2. Klasse that was awarded to an Oberleutnant Schöttle who served with Luftwaffe Flak Regiment 25. I have done a little bit or searching and found

Default SS Commandant??

I have just brought an 1939 Eisernes Kreuz 2. Klasse that was awarded to an Oberleutnant Schöttle who served with Luftwaffe Flak Regiment 25.

I have done a little bit or searching and found a Commandant Wilhelm Schöttle SS Oberleutnant 11 with I think, a division in Kampfgruppe Normandy, found by doing a search that brings up panzer-archiv.de (a Panzer division????)

Maybe a stupid question, but am I correct in thinking that he is the very same person and was an SS officer?

If so, a Commandant or Oberleutnant or both?

NB. He was also awarded a Romanian Faithful Service Cross 3rd Class, Romanian anti communist campaign medal as well as Eastern Front and Sudatenland Medals (just purchased the latter).

TIA
    Rise & ReverberateGib mir wieder etwas Schönes

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement SS Commandant??
    P
    Many

Default Re: SS Commandant??

The term commandant is not a rank term used in the German military. It would designate a position held. With the little information you have provided, it is impossible to determine if this is the same man. Do you have an urkunde that came with the medal? How have you been able to determine the name of the recipient?
    I would doubt that a Luftwaffe flak officer would some how end up in a Waffen SS panzer unit.
    BOB

LIFE'S LOSERS NEVER LEARN FROM THE ERROR OF THEIR WAYS.

Okay, so it might not be the same person, but that's why I'm asking here because I don't know.

As far as the recipient is concerned, it was part of a family collection that was purchased and being sold separately from a reputable dealer.

Thanks

?

Thank you Mr. Coleman for your esteemed partcipation on this site.
    SS Commandant??SS Commandant??SS Commandant??SS Commandant??SS Commandant??SS Commandant??SS Commandant??SS Commandant??SS Commandant??

SS Commandant??
    Quote by jHAM View Post
    Thank you Mr. Coleman for your esteemed partcipation on this site.
    SS Commandant??SS Commandant??SS Commandant??SS Commandant??SS Commandant??SS Commandant??SS Commandant??SS Commandant??SS Commandant??
    I thank Bob Coleman, as well.

Surely SS members served in the regular branches of the Wehrmacht.

Keeping one's terms absolutely straight is essential to historical research and accuracy.

Such is a major reason I wage war against collector argot and baby talk, which "commandant," surely is not, of course.

It is also possible that one transferred from one branch of the fighting forces to the other. Flak troops of the Luftwaffe were surely employed in ground combat in the anti tank role. Such Luftwaffe troops could have well served alongside Waffen SS tactical units. Others here are much more expert in said orders of battle than I. It is also not impossible that in the disgrace of the Luftwaffe after Stalingrad and the mobilization of its ground organization in fighting forces that a person might have been seconded to the growing Waffen SS in his military occupation specialty, but this is a guess.

Most likely is that the Schoettele is two different persons.

On line searches are far from perfect.

All interested in serious SS research should own the Dienstalterlisten, some of which are on line, but there is no gain saying the reprints, which are inexpensive and highly useful.
    Last edited by Friedrich-Berthold; 06-15-2012 at 04:03 AM.

There is a famous picture in the book on SS Ritterkreuztrager of an SS officer wearing a Kreigsmarine destroyer badge on his tunic. As FB stated, transfers did occur. In most cases, the individual would be posted to a position similar to what he held in his previous branch of service.
    BOB

LIFE'S LOSERS NEVER LEARN FROM THE ERROR OF THEIR WAYS.

Wow, thanks for all the information.

I have come to the obvious conclusion, along with FB and everyone else, that they indeed are two separate Schöttle.

Highlighting the dangers of online searches LOL, I must admit I did get excited when the same name popped up. At the end of the day I'm just happy to at least have a name assigned to my Eisernes Kreuz for my records.

Thanks again

Stefan