MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

SS fedgrau jacket identification by period photos

Article about: Hello everybody, I am new on this forum and I log after I red carrefuly the threads and noticed numerous mistakes upon advises for identification of some items like for Prinz Eugen M41 Feldb

Default SS fedgrau jacket identification by period photos

Hello everybody, I am new on this forum and I log after I red carrefuly the threads and noticed numerous mistakes upon advises for identification of some items like for Prinz Eugen M41 Feldbluse thread.
    I am not an expert and no one could be a 100%top expert on uniforms fields, expecialy with WW2 german army with 20millions men serving under the reich flag...But what are my references are always original photographies which never lies and do not show fake items.

Sorry I do not want to hurt people, but writting wrong advice is not good for collectors, rookies or olds.

_the 2 hook-holes are not the way to determinate if the ss jacket is a true item or not, they appeared lately in the war (no doubt to save money with less kilometer of thread)

Today Waffen SS first model jackets with 3 hook-holes.

Look at photo very carefully help to discover how they are made, pattern of model, SS collar runes... and much more.

Hope it will help
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture SS fedgrau jacket  identification by period photos   SS fedgrau jacket  identification by period photos  

SS fedgrau jacket  identification by period photos   SS fedgrau jacket  identification by period photos  

SS fedgrau jacket  identification by period photos   SS fedgrau jacket  identification by period photos  

SS fedgrau jacket  identification by period photos  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement SS fedgrau jacket  identification by period photos
    P
    Many

and here a special picture of a jacket with, from a maker's error made, at right 2 holes and at left 3 holes... Everything is possible even maker's wrong making.
    Next time late war type.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture SS fedgrau jacket  identification by period photos  

Modifications on heer & SS tunics were common. Replaced collars adding dark green collars over the standard issue...Heer tunics are seen with SS badging. Pocket raising, lining modifications, sleeves lengthened/shortend, darts in the rear let out, dagger slots installed. Length of tunic shortened, tailored for "Walking out" or home leave. Luftwaffe tress on heer tunics. The list of modifications & anomalies are endless.

Yes...a mid to late war M42-44 SS factory tunic has some lining differences, cut, material, sometimes factory markings, so not quite sure what you are trying to say. As far as thinking the 2 hole belt support on SS tunics was to save thread due to economics...well late war M43 Heer tunics are all 3 hole. There were many more Heer M43 tunics produced I believe than M43 SS tunics. So not in agreement with that observation/opinion

There is a good thread here by "Stone Mint" titled "Don't tell me they wouldn't have worn it" which is a compilation of non standard or non-regulation of period pics of anomalies which cannot be explained & go against what collectors deem "Textbook". I recommend you read it.

Welcome to the forum
    Last edited by real steel; 11-22-2017 at 07:09 PM.

Brandeburg-
    Unlike other forums, you receive educated replies here. Welcome to the forum. If you want learn, you have selected the best place on the internet.
    BOB

LIFE'S LOSERS NEVER LEARN FROM THE ERROR OF THEIR WAYS.

Sorry about misunderstanding, English is not my language.
    What I tried to show is that the affirmation that Waffen SS tunics always have 2 hooks holes from 1936 to 1944 as wrote in some threads is not true...
    So the new collectors' learning bases won't be mistaken. Same purpose as did mister Stone Mint.

For the ss tunics ' 2 hooksholes I never found the explanation in official documents why they did it, but on "faserstoff and other Ersatz Reich researches documents, under the demand of the reich "due to shortage of material " they ask manufacter and scientists to spare raw material.
    What I wrote about kilometer of thread is a stupid extrapolation which I shouldn't have done... until someone find the real reason of the 2 hook-holes in official texts.

Whatever I put pictures of 2 hooks-holes jacket to help people to see how they look like:
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture SS fedgrau jacket  identification by period photos   SS fedgrau jacket  identification by period photos  

Last edited by brandeburg; 11-24-2017 at 06:27 AM. Reason: try correct some ambiguous sentences

Quote by brandeburg View Post
    Sorry about misunderstanding, English is not my language.
    What I tried to show is that the affirmation that Waffen SS tunics always have 2 hooks holes from 1936 to 1944 as wrote in some threads is not true...
    So the new collectors' learning bases won't be mistaken as did mister Stone Mint.

For the ss tunics ' 2 hooksholes I never found the explanation in official documents why they did it, but on "faserstoff and other Ersatz Reich researches documents, under the demand of the reich "due to shortage of material " they ask manufacter and scientists to spare raw material.
    What I wrote about kilometer of thread is a stupid extrapolation until someone find the real reason of the 2 hook-holes in official texts.

Whatever I put pictures of 2 hooks-holes jacket to help people to see how they look like:
    Thank you for educating me on SS issue tunics. Always willing to learn. After all, I don't like being mistaken, but if I was, thanks for correcting me

Okay I did the mistake to write my own point of view, extrapolation of what I red, this is not good.
    As I am studying french tissu's manufacturers who worked for german here is one of "order" I red:
    In order to guarantee the most economical use of scarce raw materials, Göring decided on 20 September 1940 to compel manufacturers in the occupied territories to stricktly follow the production methods and manufacturing prohibitions already in force in Germany.
    _BA Berlin 26 1/41 Der Reichsmarschall des Grodeutschen Reiches Planmässige Ausnutzung der Wirtschaft der besetzten westlichen Gebiete für die deutsche Kriegswirtschaft Berlin 20 septembre 1940 Göring
    I do not have copie to post as when I visited Aachen, Munchen archives 30years ago..scan does not exist, I took notes, and asked for photocopies which now, with 20 or 22 moving???, are gone.

here adress of a Prima Museum to visit or watch on the web:

Textilfabrik Cromford filature Ratingen
    Tuchfabrik Müller euskirchen
    LVR-Industriemuseum
    Zentrale
    Hansastraße 18
    46049 Oberhausen
    Last edited by brandeburg; 11-28-2017 at 03:03 PM.

I'm having trouble finding the "Don't tell me they wouldn't have worn it" thread. I had an old book mark here:

Don't tell me they wouldn't have worn it.......... - but it says I don't have permission - I used to be able to view it before I signed up (?).

When I search I only find a "Bundeswehr" edition. If someone has a new link, I'd appreciate it.

I might observe that the full resources of this site are all yours, in luxurious detail, when you contribute USD 25 to the proprietors to keep the thing
    going. It may be unfair in the view of some, but it is not from my jaundiced and jaded perspective. The moderator
    in the cap rubric has so organized it so you have to pay to see all the material. In view of the investment made by
    him and the investment made by us well justify the mutual aid and self help.

Good luck.

I'm certainly aware - I've lurked for a while. But unfortunately, I don't have a budget for site subscriptions. I understand it, but I could see it before when I *wasn't* a member - that's what perplexes me. I've had it bookmarked for quite some time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast