Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

SS field jacket....maybe

Article about: So I came across this jacket a couple weeks ago. I have recieved mix results from local collectors and other sites. I was hoping to get more insight into this item from you all. These are th

Default SS field jacket....maybe

So I came across this jacket a couple weeks ago. I have recieved mix results from local collectors and other sites. I was hoping to get more insight into this item from you all.

These are the facts about the jacket:
    The buttons on it or WW2 German
    I black lighted the jacket and it does not light up

I researched the name stamped on the jacket, Col. Canton and found out that he was an american stationed in france during the first part of the war. I believe he put his stamp on it so it would be shipped back to the states. I know many officers did this during the war.

It might be hard to see but there are elbow pads on the jacket, with X stitching. I have seen 3d models of germans with these pads, but as of yet have not found any photos that clearly show elbow pads on uniforms. The only reason for the pads which I could conqure is for a sniper or mg42 crew which envolves laying down.

If anyone could help me identify this jacket it would be helpful. I'm hoping to ID it so I could sell it for what it is rather then guessing. Or if anyone knows someone who could authenticate this jacket, that would aslo be welcomed.

Thanks for any help,
    Dracnum

SS field jacket....maybeSS field jacket....maybeSS field jacket....maybeSS field jacket....maybe

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement SS field jacket....maybe
    P
    Many

Default Re: SS field jacket....maybe

Hi and welcome to the forum Not SS. I have never seen them wear that style or camo

Nick
    "In all my years as a soldier, I have never seen men fight so hard." - SS Obergruppenfuhrer Wilhelm Bittrich - Arnhem

?

possibly Italian?? In fact, I'm almost certain this is ww2 italian camo. The Germans also used this in combat..not regulation of course!
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture SS field jacket....maybe  

?

I agree Italian cam, the Germans came into a lot of it after Italy surrendered...this jacket has a "battledress" feel about it, I believe this style came in later during the war after the Germans simplified the style of tunic after seeing British battledress

I thought waffen SS were the only units that used camo during ww2. Would this be an italian SS jacket or would it be worn in regular army?

Thanks for the help so far.

?

Waffen SS are famous for their cam, but all branches wore it....it saw limited issue to Heer and SS in the polish campaign.....all services had cam Zeltbahns.....SS wore and developed their own cam uniforms which differed from the other services....Italian cam was popular, many soldiers used it to make helmet covers and non issue garments. After the surrender of Italy Germans came into stocks of Italian camo and used it to make uniforms....

I actually believe the Heer was developing cam as early as 1935.

These are not buttons on the jacket, but snaps. The 'Col Canton' label
    is not what I'd expect to see - if it is supposed to be WWII.
    'lg 2' appears to be the size.

Im guessing 1970's or 1980's.........
    Regards,

Steve.

?

Quote by AMTG View Post
    Waffen SS are famous for their cam, but all branches wore it....it saw limited issue to Heer and SS in the polish campaign.....all services had cam Zeltbahns.....SS wore and developed their own cam uniforms which differed from the other services....Italian cam was popular, many soldiers used it to make helmet covers and non issue garments. After the surrender of Italy Germans came into stocks of Italian camo and used it to make uniforms....

I actually believe the Heer was developing cam as early as 1935.
    Heer's is the camo helmet cover in wear.

Also here's an example the LuftWaffe used. And a Luft plane in PERFECT CAMO!!
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture SS field jacket....maybe  
    Attached Images Attached Images SS field jacket....maybe  SS field jacket....maybe 

?

Im kinda not thinking this jacket is wartime produced...Ther are features missing I would expect to see on a German made jacket, as said, there are snaps....can we get closer pics of the buttons/snaps? Are they marked? It would be nice to see "Prym" on them!!!

Zeltbahn camo Heer i beleive was used in 1932
    Italain zeltbahn started in 1929 i beleive.

Dean also note that the soldat does not have shoulder board.

As for the Jacket in qeastion, most likely a postwar made. (never seen the elbow pads)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast