Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

SS Hauptamt Tunic

Article about: by BOB COLEMAN This is the purpose for which this Forum exists. No nastiness, no ridiculous comments. We all will learn at one time or another by being a member of this Forum which Ade so wi

Default Re: SS Hauptamt Tunic

Quote by BOB COLEMAN View Post
    This is the purpose for which this Forum exists. No nastiness, no ridiculous comments. We all will learn at one time or another by being a member of this Forum which Ade so wisely formed.
    i continue to learn here every day. from you, Friedrich-Berthold, Adrian and so many others and i do feel remiss for not being able to string together so many names here as thanking each would require.

i am proud to support the site and for those that have not, may they consider the tremendous amount of work and personal availability that members such as these put in here for the erudition of us all.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement SS Hauptamt Tunic
    P
    Many

UHU
    ?

Quote by Friedrich-Berthold View Post
    Well said. Thank you. A thoughtful and insightful intervention. Even things in more or less a perfect state of preservation show age if you look closely.

The thought of such furniture from the 1920s and such being restored is pretty repugnant, but that does not surprise me.
    In my opinion a full restoration may be only acceptable in the most extreme of cases, i.e if the piece is seriously damaged or needs to be treated to prevent further deterioration that could endanger its longterm survival. Bald spots from wear and a few scratches hardly qualify for taking such drastic measures.

There are also technical problems. Manufacturing processes and materials have changed considerably since the 1930's and a vintage chrome finish can be difficult or impossible to match.

There are many wonderful things in Berlin. Watch the film "Berlin, Sinfonie einer Grossstadt" by Ruttmann in You Tube. It is a day in the life of Berlin in 1927, and it is a genuine pleasure.
    I'm very familiar with this piece and it's an old favorite of mine. Lot's of 'Russian cutting' in that one.

Thank you and all the best.

Quote by UHU View Post
    In my opinion a full restoration may be only acceptable in the most extreme of cases, i.e if the piece is seriously damaged or needs to be treated to prevent further deterioration that could endanger its longterm survival. Bald spots from wear and a few scratches hardly qualify for taking such drastic measures.

There are also technical problems. Manufacturing processes and materials have changed considerably since the 1930's and a vintage chrome finish can be difficult or impossible to match.

I'm very familiar with this piece and it's an old favorite of mine. Lot's of 'Russian cutting' in that one.

Thank you and all the best.
    thank you, in turn.

- - Updated - -

Quote by tempelhof View Post
    i continue to learn here every day. from you, Friedrich-Berthold, Adrian and so many others and i do feel remiss for not being able to string together so many names here as thanking each would require.

i am proud to support the site and for those that have not, may they consider the tremendous amount of work and personal availability that members such as these put in here for the erudition of us all.
    Thanks. Knowledge is vital and its enemies are legion, seized of the wretched aggressiveness of this peculiar time, and hell bent to make sure that the supply of original material is had by very few.

?

SS Hauptamt Tunic

AN example of the elastic sided walking out boots.

Quote by Tricot View Post
    SS Hauptamt Tunic

AN example of the elastic sided walking out boots.
    Thank you. Very interesting.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4