Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

SS NCO Black Allgemeine Visor - The nature of the beast

Article about: I just wanted to add this as a separate thread in case a fellow collector comes across the same. I recently acquired a SS NCO Dienstmutze. The visor itself was in beautiful preserved conditi

Default SS NCO Black Allgemeine Visor - The nature of the beast

I just wanted to add this as a separate thread in case a fellow collector comes across the same. I recently acquired a SS NCO Dienstmutze. The visor itself was in beautiful preserved condition when I acquired it but the headband was nearly completely deteriorated. Afterwards I found that the previous collector was careful enough to preserve some of the detached pieces of headband. On further examination of those it started to make sense to me why this visor's headband was nearly lost to time. If these stains is what I think it is, its definitely grizzly but in any event part of the story of this visor. Any thought or opinions will be very welcome as always. Regards Mardo
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture SS NCO Black Allgemeine Visor - The nature of the beast   SS NCO Black Allgemeine Visor - The nature of the beast  

SS NCO Black Allgemeine Visor - The nature of the beast   SS NCO Black Allgemeine Visor - The nature of the beast  

SS NCO Black Allgemeine Visor - The nature of the beast   SS NCO Black Allgemeine Visor - The nature of the beast  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement SS NCO Black Allgemeine Visor - The nature of the beast
    P
    Many

If these stains is what I think it is, its definitely grizzly

Now, now, don't let your imagination run away with you.....

BTW, very nice visor otherwise!!

Thank you for your reply, my friend. From my side this was just a small observation and me contributing to the visual documentation of such items from around the globe towards this forum. Could this be a coffee spill from decades ago that ate through the lining as the years went on? Of course, anything is possible. Regards Mardo

?

Hello Marco,
    I am reasonably confident that the staining is not, as you propose, blood.
    While the salts in blood do, indeed, eat through many materials over time, notice how the staining sits on the surface of the lining only, rather than having soaked all the way through (visible at the torn areas). While not visible in the photographs, is this staining present on the outer face of the band, where one would expect to find it?
    Furthermore, with enough of a soaking to destroy the entire lining band, it seems remarkable that the rest of the cap appears completely untouched. Surely that clean, white piping would have soaked something up. Such localised bleeding is unlikely, to say the least.

That said, quite what it was that broke down the lining band eludes me.
    The initial thought would be heavy sweat, though again, the rest of the cap seams quite unaffected by such prolonged wear (particularly the crown). However, it may well be that the band had simply dried over time, becoming brittle and fragile, then soaked up sweat from far more recent wear, or perhaps, oils from a poor choice of preserving treatment. The combination of which was just too much for the band to survive.

Whatever the reason, it’s still a splendid example.
    Well done Sir.
    Bob

I'd suspect dry rot or water damage myself. I'd imagine a wound that caused severe bleeding would have caused some damage to the outside of the cap. At the end of the day, it's probably one of those mysteries lost to time. Anything could have caused that staining, or any combination of things that we will never be able to discern.

I understand that old bloodstains tend to turn black, and the stains on this cap look more brown to me. Maybe the SS Man was a little careless with his morning coffee?

Regards, B.B.

I believe there are ways to test for blood. So that would settle any question. But the stain pattern seems to spread upwards from the sown bottom edge. That might suggest the cap had been sitting right side up in the staining liquid, be it spilt coffee or blood.

Guys, thank you so much for your reply for taking the time to play fellow detectives on this item. I agree wholeheartedly with your assessments and from my side it brings somewhat of a big relief. I'd definitely opt for any other stains all day long. Less bad juju. Kindest Mardo

Thank you, Anderson.

- - ------- - -

Thank you B.B

thank you Bob

?

I suspect the staining could be from an earlier attempt to keep the deteriorating sweatband in place by glueing. I've also seen stains and residue like this from long gone cloth tape used for the same purpose...Regardless, a nice original cap!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast