Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

SS sleeve eagles

Article about: Hello guys. I did a research through the threads started here about SS sleeve eagles and now I have doubts about 3 sleeve eagles I've seen from colleagues' collections. The first one seens t

Default SS sleeve eagles

Hello guys. I did a research through the threads started here about SS sleeve eagles and now I have doubts about 3 sleeve eagles I've seen from colleagues' collections.

The first one seens to be a Hammerhead, but I feel strange the roundel with the swastica, I think a bad work, but maybe it's because has been worn down....
    SS sleeve eaglesSS sleeve eagles

The second one has the wings too much separated from the body on the lower part....But the net on the backside seems legit.
    SS sleeve eaglesSS sleeve eagles

And the third one seems to have the swastika too thin...
    SS sleeve eagles

For sure you'll notice much more problems...or not...Your opinions will be grateful.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement SS sleeve eagles
    P
    Many

1st Eagle looks like a good salty Hammerhead to me. But the base eagle almost look trimmed and applied to a piece of cloth backing? Its hard to tell from the photos. Hammerheads are found affixed to a black cloth backing but not like this, I'm betting it was a post war alteration.

2nd Eagle is referred to as the "owl" fake.

3rd Eagle I believe is a reproduction, some might disagree... I don't like the thin wreath & the gaps in the feathers. A picture of the back would appreciated.

SS sleeve eagles

Here it is

Apologies, I change my opinion of bird #3. Looks like a fine mid war example after seeing the back. In addition, the adhesive on the back is period. It was applied to help reduce fraying.

Wow, many thanks for your fast reply. I dind't expect the first one to be original.
    Nice to meet people so helpfully!!!!
    Cheers

Im sorry but I believe eagle in post #1 to be a fake from SM Wholesale USA. I have posted the repro from SM Wholsale please compare. Vince
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture SS sleeve eagles   SS sleeve eagles  

IMO, you can't compare the eagle in post # 1 and the SM Wholesale USA eagle, the differences are huge.
    SS sleeve eagles
    I add an eagle recognized as original to compare.
    SS sleeve eagles
    SS sleeve eagles SS sleeve eagles
    IMO, the eagle # 1 has many characteristics similar to the original, so i think is good one.
    Regards, Jannis.
    Last edited by johanis1860; 01-12-2022 at 05:03 PM.

Jannis, I stand corrected I see that yours is very close to the original and I agree with your post. I see that the first post eagle is original. My apologies. Vince