Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

SS storm leader (lieutenant) (untersturmfuhrer) collar tab

Article about: bought this today for very very little money. I belive it to be a possibly authentic collar tab. shows signs of age and wear but overall in solid shape. to my understanding this came from a

The other items need to be discussed individually in the correct respective forums.

There is a mixture of good and bad.

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement SS storm leader (lieutenant) (untersturmfuhrer) collar tab
    P
    Many

sorry about that, forgot how crowded it makes the post.

Quote by HPL2008 View Post
    Personally, I think a likelier promotion scenario is the regular progression through the officer candidate ranks up to commissioning.

A Standartenoberjunker-ranked officer school graduate would have worn a rank tab with two pips, one strip of lace ( like a Hauptscharführer) and officers' cord piping.

Upon promotion to Untersturmführer, he could have upgraded his rank patch by removing the lace and adding a pip.
    Another valid point that I missed; thank you HPL. I've since changed my stance and now feel the most logical explanation would be during the period the tab was intended for a SS-Obersturmführer and either as a result of a demotion or the passage of time the tress was removed. With the presence of glue residue on the reverse, it's also a possibility the individual who put it there caused this anomaly...likely being a G.I. that brought it back to the States, where it was discovered, as a war-souvenir.
    Beau, the buckle you've inquired about in post #29 isn't one which was ever issued to the Schutzstaffel (SS). It's actually a buckle for the Deutsches Jungvolk.
    Beginning at the age of 10, boys joined the Deutsches Jungvolk (German Young People) until the age of 13 when they transferred to the Hitler Jugend (Hitler Youth). They'd remain in the Hitler Jugend until the age of 18, where, while active, they wore a completely different buckle design from the former mentioned organizations.
    I'm not sure if it's orginal as I don't collect them, but as you've suggested, posting several items at once can crowd a thread and it's best to post them separately in their respected sub-fora.

CBH
    ?

It is my fault , I asked him about what else was at the sale .

Yes you are 100% correct I have sense learned what the buckle really was but got confused at first due to the rune, the SS never used a buckle even close to that. Thanks so much,
    Beau

I just wanted to make the comment that I belive in the demotion senario as more plausible than the rank up. it apears the ribbon was cut while on tunic from what I can see and where it was cut, if this is the case the pips would not have been added on while on tunic. I do belive it is very possible that it could have been from a rank up. durring the end of the war they gave out rank ups much more freely than previously in the 30's and early 40's. If he was promoted with little notice near the end of the war this may have been the temporary fix for the field. Also I was in to see the guy I bought it from, he was extremly confident that the canadian ww2 doctor brought it home along with other tunics and such. (topics coming soon on the tunics)
    thanks!
    Beau

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4