Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thoughts on this SS Panzer Wrap

Article about: I would like to get some thoughts and opinions on this 1st SS Panzer Wrap that I’m looking at. Original, Repro etc. Thanks.

?

Default Thoughts on this SS Panzer Wrap

I would like to get some thoughts and opinions on this 1st SS Panzer Wrap that I’m looking at. Original, Repro etc.
    Thanks.

Thoughts on this SS Panzer WrapThoughts on this SS Panzer WrapThoughts on this SS Panzer WrapThoughts on this SS Panzer WrapThoughts on this SS Panzer WrapThoughts on this SS Panzer WrapThoughts on this SS Panzer WrapThoughts on this SS Panzer WrapThoughts on this SS Panzer WrapThoughts on this SS Panzer Wrap
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Thoughts on this SS Panzer Wrap   Thoughts on this SS Panzer Wrap  

Thoughts on this SS Panzer Wrap   Thoughts on this SS Panzer Wrap  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Thoughts on this SS Panzer Wrap
    P
    Many

I’m certain that others will contribute their opinions on the insignia, but the uniform itself is most definitely a reproduction. The weave of the wool fabric is not what one would expect to see on on an original, the lining material and general “cut” is wrong for an SS panzer wrap, and the overall appearance of the uniform is very baggy looking. When looking at even factory-made original uniforms, they have a very trim and smart look to them. It one of the most telling differences between fake and original.

Unfortunately, there is no “trick” or easy answer in figuring out the distinction. Only careful study and examination of originals can help you gain this knowledge. If you are serious about wanting to acquire an original SS panzer uniform, first you need A LOT of money, and them perhaps investing in several books on the subject. My suggestion would be Scott Pritchett’s four volume set on panzer uniforms. Membership and participation on this forum will definitely aid you too

I would be very suspicious of the uniform as well as the stampings..

The SS-BW ink stamp is also a well known reproduction stamping.

Here is a link to an SS-BW ink stamp for sale as well as an image of said ink stamp.

SS-BW Rubber Stamp

This company makes many of the ink stamps that are found in clothing as well as other items.

Careful examination of period original uniform pieces in order to compare reproduction stamps from originals is necessary. Although this may be sometimes difficult to ascertain, it is possible with known original uniforms

Smitty
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Thoughts on this SS Panzer Wrap  

Oh! I forgot one thing (thanks for reminding me Smitty).

One can gain a good amount of insight from size stamps on a uniform. For me, the most telling is the center number of the five-number block stamped on the lining. The 107 indicates the chest size (A 42 for us in the U.S.). This in an unusually large size for wwii era uniforms. I will not say that it never happened, but this one is certainly a fugitive from the law of averages.

?

Thanks for the thoughts. I am also suspicious of this uniform. I am not all that familiar with the Black SS Panzer wrap. I was very suspicious with the stamp and the B45. Smaller than the rest. I am not an expert on the collar tabs, shoulder boards (the pips ) don’t look right. What do you think about the cuff title? I assume since the jacket is a repro, the other parts are most likely.

?

Thanks for the tips. I don’t think my eye is quite that keen (yet), with this uniform. The form helps greatly.

Quote by Obal7 View Post
    I was very suspicious with the stamp and the B45.
    You should be. This tyle of Depot stamp is only seen on Heer uniforms. Each branch of the wehrmacht and SS had their own special depot stamps

The cuff title looks like a 90's era reproduction. Here is an original. Note the weave of the dot over the i in Hitler. Also the r's tail the way it's curvature runs.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Thoughts on this SS Panzer Wrap  

?

Thanks

?

The whole set incl. the insignia is nothing like a real wrap should look like.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast