Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Too many Stickies??

Article about: I love all the stickies in this thread and I don't want them to be lost in the thread. I do think there is too many of them. How about creating a sub-forum just for them? No posting new thre

?

Default Too many Stickies??

I love all the stickies in this thread and I don't want them to be lost in the thread. I do think there is too many of them. How about creating a sub-forum just for them? No posting new threads in the sub-forum, only threads move over to it. This would also let it expand a bit more. Just an idea I had.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Too many Stickies??
    P
    Many

Quote by Ganer View Post
    I love all the stickies in this thread and I don't want them to be lost in the thread. I do think there is too many of them. How about creating a sub-forum just for them? No posting new threads in the sub-forum, only threads move over to it. This would also let it expand a bit more. Just an idea I had.
    These are ideas for Adrian Stevenson to consider. I am the first to concede that the material about the SS is not really organized in an ideal manner.
    On the other hand, these threads contain extraordinary information and knowledge had no where else. The assertion that there are "too many,"
    strikes me as wide of the mark. Do you have some outline of how you can improve the SS material here beyond what you write above?
    I teach advanced seminars and other bracing forms for the exchange of knowledge, so I am always open to a better curriculum.
    The threads manifest this purpose and are less than ideal. And the stickies were not created by me, but by those who watch over us an do a fine job.

Let me also write that most of the digital resources on SS uniform of which I am aware are steeply inferior to what we have here.
    These things also repeat one error after the error and it is this sawdust in the sausage that is the real problem.

?

Quote by Friedrich-Berthold View Post
    Let me also write that most of the digital resources on SS uniform of which I am aware are steeply inferior to what we have here.
    This statement is absolutely correct. Thanks in large part to you F-B. Is it really so much trouble to scroll down the screen?
    Too many Stickies??
    The road to knowledge begins at the stickies.

Quote by Ganer View Post
    If there are too many stickies, why are we constantly bombarded by people posting absolute junk with terrible photos to determine if it is original or not.
    All they have to do is spend some time looking and they would likely be able to answer their own questions.
    Ralph.
    Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)

MAP
    ?

I think having them at the top has the most merit even if there alot, but also agree that having an "educational" sub forum has some appeal as well

Boy, I sound like a politician....
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Quote by rbminis View Post
    If there are too many stickies, why are we constantly bombarded by people posting absolute junk with terrible photos to determine if it is original or not.
    All they have to do is spend some time looking and they would likely be able to answer their own questions.
    Ralph.
    I think the answer to that lies somewhere in the "instant gratification" generation's laziness and their desire to be served information upon demand. It's akin to the ubiquitous cell phones forever in their hands-why bother going to school and learn things, when it's simpler to just punch it in and look up the answer immediately on their devices?
    Last edited by Wagriff; 11-04-2016 at 06:24 PM.
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

It's easy enough to scroll past the "stickies"!......

?

Quote by Friedrich-Berthold View Post
    These are ideas for Adrian Stevenson to consider. I am the first to concede that the material about the SS is not really organized in an ideal manner.
    On the other hand, these threads contain extraordinary information and knowledge had no where else. The assertion that there are "too many,"
    strikes me as wide of the mark. Do you have some outline of how you can improve the SS material here beyond what you write above?
    I teach advanced seminars and other bracing forms for the exchange of knowledge, so I am always open to a better curriculum.
    The threads manifest this purpose and are less than ideal. And the stickies were not created by me, but by those who watch over us an do a fine job.
    As you have pointed out the info here could be used to write a nice book on the subject & I greatly enjoy reading the very interesting threads! It would take a lot of work to reorganize. I want to both remove the large number of stickied threads from the start of this form & increase the number of 'important threads' that are kept in a defined area for them. I am sure there are a few threads that almost made the stickied list but out of not wanting 2 or 3 pages before new normal post were not stickied.

I am suggesting a simple 'special archive' sub-forum. Threads could only be moved there by the moderators when they feel it is worthy. It would grow over time, but be free of the 'is this real' type threads (yes, they are useful for people to learn from) and be kept well below the 5,000 threads in this forum. Also threads could be started that would just be a collection of new material already posted in other threads (as in a post in a thread that adds something new to the forum, but the whole thread itself is not worthy to be move the the Special Archive).

I don't feel strongly that the current setup bad, more of just an idea I had while scrolling to see what the new posts were.

Quote by rbminis View Post
    Ralph.
    I associate myself with this statement, as about ten steady troops here do all the work.
    Don't get me wrong. Surely one can always improve the manner in which knowledge is presented.
    The stickie threads are less than optimal, but I am not going to redesign this site. My role here is what it is, and stands on its merits.
    The moderators are in charge, and what is here is theirs.
    I have often thought about how to adjudicate the wishes of the many here to best fit to the record of the past.
    I do this for a living, but in a different medium, and it is the medium I much prefer.
    I write books and I teach seminars.
    Here, the ill habits celebrated by computer people enable uninformed people to impose their ignorance on others with the singular expectation
    that we take them seriously and answer what are often dumb questions.
    On the other hand, my own wish to encourage knowledge, so I answer questions which a half hour of reading would answer.
    Knowledge is more than the ins and outs of Wikipedia. I have grown much more favorable to Wikipedia,
    but SS regalia articles on SS uniform there are below average at best.
    Real knowledge is complicated and the sense of entitlement of others to further burden our good humor and patience is
    apparently limitless.

What there needs to be less of are: "is it real" and "what is its worth" and "dealer Charlie Fisheyes is a crook." and "here is the so terrible 'Berlins aelteste Muetzenfabrik' horror hat" etc.

Do bear with me if I am abrupt here, but very few of us do the real work and the sense of entitlement of some exceeds their level of ambition,
    which is plainly too high.

The moderators are otherwise very engaged with dealing with the bad behavior and otherwise misdeeds of persons here,
    a task which denies them and us all the chance to reflect constructively about more subtle things of note.

Time is precious, but the expectation that you can render an issue of such complexity in two key strokes embodies a naivete
    that is striking.
    Last edited by Friedrich-Berthold; 11-03-2016 at 01:55 PM.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast