MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Tunic for evaluation

Article about: Hello all,I may have an opportunity to acquire this tunic which I have seen only once 21 years ago. I have very limited knowledge regarding original SS uniforms so I though I would post some

Quote by Arran View Post
    As usual, F-B is "bang on" with his assessment of this tunic, having noted both the updated, later insignia as well as the subtle tell-tale signs of its earlier use (AK chevron and collar piping, both with silver content which has tarnished). I look forward to pics of the interior, though I would be surprised to see any markings. As it stands now, i think it shows real promise...
    Why, Arran, thanks so much. I am very remiss that I failed to name you, too. Arran S. is a very fine SS collector with a subtle command of the details.
    I am delighted he agrees with me. Might I add that this site attracts the kind of luminary like Arran, who is generous and devoted to the betterment of others,
    versus the slash and grab ethos as operates on other sites. We could have just as well smashed this thing in public while arranging to buy it on the qt, as is what
    usually happens. I own many of these things, and look forward to the younger cohort acceding to them in good order.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Tunic for evaluation
    P
    Many

I would also salute Joe of Texas ueber alles as a very fine expert on SS regalia, and I am grateful for his friendship and fine role here.

Mamy thanks but you

Quote by texasuberalles View Post
    Mamy thanks but you
    The best of the season to you, Joe, and much good fortune to you and yours in the year to come.

Many thanks but you have forgotten more than I'll ever know.

Here's a little treat that I just ran across that is sady UNobtainable.

Someone had stripped the cufftitle and "bobbed??" the shoulder board. While behind glass it all looks legit otherwise. Even with the decorations.

Tunic for evaluationTunic for evaluationTunic for evaluationTunic for evaluationTunic for evaluation[U]

Aha. Very interesting. Just goes to show how hard it is to find these things intact.

Thanks so much, Joe, for sharing your nice discovery with us.

We all appreciate the chance to see new things.

What a pleasant contrast to the "falling out umlaut" thread.

Good evening Gentlemen,Please forgive the rushed photography I had only a short amount of time to try and get the bits I thought might be useful for further observations Although I am not a frequent visitor in this area of the forum I spend quite a bit of time in the Japanese section which is my main area of collecting, so I wanted to say I appreciate the kindness and information provided by "The Dark Side"
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Tunic for evaluation   Tunic for evaluation  

Tunic for evaluation   Tunic for evaluation  

Tunic for evaluation  

Nice piece, as I suggested last night, and as Arran also pointed out. It is not the type that is stamped and marked everywhere, but this fact does not alter
    that it is a fine, authentic piece of likely earlier date, via. the collar piping and the Ehrenwinkel with the silver content. You see
    the normal level of uniform tailoring as is found in these 1933-1936 or so items.
    We have images ca 1933 of persons in the Bayreuth Sta. and maybe this man is one of those persons?

The issue is the price. Also, it would be nice to see whether the cap was of the same era as the jacket. It is easy to tell.
    In any case, the badges are updated in the post summer 1937 posture, i.e. the alu. badges versus the white or grey embroidery
    and the colored Sturmbaneder that this thing likely had when first worn. Such a change is a plus, since it speaks for the man
    having continued SS service and so forth. These jackets are often from places of US garrisons, which Bayreuth and its environs
    surely were for a long time. That is, US souvenir seekers could find what had endured and saved it either immediately or eventually.

Tunic for evaluationPS I do not consider myself any such "dark side." I do not like these cute generalizations about SS regalia. There is nothing cute about it.
    I understand that there are large swatches of persons out their who take death cult kitsch seriously. I see all of this in explicitly tragic terms,
    that is, these people were radicalized by extraordinary political violence, defeat, economic dislocation, and, in turn, became a criminal organization
    of particular aggressiveness. Persons who fetishize this regalia should not collect it. It should be preserved as a warning about the abuse of
    ideas of human virtue in order to deprive others of their dignity and their lives. It is an insight that needs restating in the present.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast