Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here

WSS NCO’s Jacket Collar Cut Off - With Provenance.

Article about: Hi there chaps, I just wanted to show you all something which I believe to be rather special. I picked up this charming cut-off this weekend, along with a copy of the veteran’s bring-back

Default WSS NCO’s Jacket Collar Cut Off - With Provenance.

Hi there chaps,

I just wanted to show you all something which I believe to be rather special. I picked up this charming cut-off this weekend, along with a copy of the veteran’s bring-back certificate and photo (Cpl Herman Partner, 230th Field Artillery Battalion).

From the certificate, we see that this item - along with a number of others - were certified by CWO William J. Berry on 10 April 1945. The ‘German Uniform Material’ has been annotated as the collar cut-off.

Fortunately, a book was published in 1945 detailing the campaign of the 230th Field Artillery Battalion - “On The Way”. An online version can be found here: "On the way: a historical narrative of the Two-thirtieth Field Artiller" by United States Army

The book makes mention to the events leading to April 10 1945 - I have included some extracts below. However, it’s surreal to think that this item’s location can be pinpointed exactly on that day.

CWO William J. Berry is mentioned towards the end of the book as being a Bronze Star recipient, and his address even appears under the list of Battalion officers. Under the list of enlisted men, Herman Partner can be found.

I typically can never put a story to an item, but I think I may have gotten lucky this time.

Thanks for looking.

Best wishes.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture WSS NCO’s Jacket Collar Cut Off - With Provenance.   WSS NCO’s Jacket Collar Cut Off - With Provenance.  

WSS NCO’s Jacket Collar Cut Off - With Provenance.   WSS NCO’s Jacket Collar Cut Off - With Provenance.  

WSS NCO’s Jacket Collar Cut Off - With Provenance.   WSS NCO’s Jacket Collar Cut Off - With Provenance.  

Last edited by scotland99; 10-10-2021 at 09:49 PM.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement WSS NCO’s Jacket Collar Cut Off - With Provenance.
    P
    Many

That's a really fantastic piece, certainly a top shelf SS item. And with Veteran provenance attached makes it all the better. I'm really happy for you Scotland, its refreshing to see a younger collector get such a jaw-dropping item in this hobby (especially SS related). My only advice is don't sell it, you'll definitely regret it!

Congratulations on the super rare & cool find.
    -John

Quote by John4022 View Post
    That's a really fantastic piece, certainly a top shelf SS item. And with Veteran provenance attached makes it all the better. I'm really happy for you Scotland, its refreshing to see a younger collector get such a jaw-dropping item in this hobby (especially SS related). My only advice is don't sell it, you'll definitely regret it!

Congratulations on the super rare & cool find.
    -John
    Thank-you John for your kind comments. Most definitely, it’s a challenging hobby (especially at the beginning) - but all becomes worthwhile in moments like this. It will stay with me for a while yet

Best wishes,
    Scotty

Fantastic story and a great "find".

?

Nice original cut off, congrats.

?

Wow beautiful cutoff!