Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here

WW2 SS Schutzmannschaft Schuma Officers M43 Feldmütze Cap Insignia

Article about: A few weeks ago I encountered a seller at my local flea market with several boxes of supposed WW2 German items. Many were classic fantasy fakes while others were more convincing. Once I spot

Default WW2 SS Schutzmannschaft Schuma Officers M43 Feldmütze Cap Insignia

A few weeks ago I encountered a seller at my local flea market with several boxes of supposed WW2 German items. Many were classic fantasy fakes while others were more convincing. Once I spot a fake in a group I proceed cautiously, but often times the good is mixed in with the bad. I was the first at the table, and over cover of darkness (it was 5:30 AM) I worked feverously with a flashlight clinched between my teeth; not the best way to make calm, rational, informed choices! While I was digging the seller kept putting more out and a small crowd began to develop. I saw him put two Early War US M1903 "Scant" stocks on the table and I had to move quickly as I knew those were what they appeared to be. As the sun began to rise

One box containing small items was filled with a mix of patches and badges, many of which were clearly fantasy. Limp cuff titles, sad SS "Tuxedo" badges and paper-thin screwback Iron Crosses, even a pair of old fantasy SS pith helmet shields for good measure. Digging deeper I began to find other pieces that seemed viable. Before moving over to the rifle stocks I managed to grab a half dozen "interesting" specimens and this Schuma patch was one of them (I will be posting several others here too).

The patch is similar to other BeVo pieces I have in my collection and the thread appears to be aluminum flatwire, as there is a noticeable "stiffness" present in the area of the emblem. I have noted two distinct styles of lower "clasps" depicted at the bottom of the Oak Leaf wreathes and the example I have is similar to those posted by fellow user Vocht here (Schuma Cloth insignia , Uniforms, Schuma Items). A similar example attached to a cap can be seen here (Germany, Ss. A Schutzmannschaft Officer’s M43-Style Service Cap
    – eMedals
    ). No reaction in the materials could be detected when the patch was exposed to UV light.

As always, I would greatly appreciate the experienced eyes of the forum to take a look at this patch and share any criticisms, opinions and thoughts you might have about it. Like the others I found, I don't have much invested in this piece and would still be happy to have it in my collection as a "place holder" even if it turned out not to be genuine.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture WW2 SS Schutzmannschaft Schuma Officers M43 Feldmütze Cap Insignia   WW2 SS Schutzmannschaft Schuma Officers M43 Feldmütze Cap Insignia  

WW2 SS Schutzmannschaft Schuma Officers M43 Feldmütze Cap Insignia   WW2 SS Schutzmannschaft Schuma Officers M43 Feldmütze Cap Insignia  

WW2 SS Schutzmannschaft Schuma Officers M43 Feldmütze Cap Insignia   WW2 SS Schutzmannschaft Schuma Officers M43 Feldmütze Cap Insignia  

WW2 SS Schutzmannschaft Schuma Officers M43 Feldmütze Cap Insignia  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement WW2 SS Schutzmannschaft Schuma Officers M43 Feldmütze Cap Insignia
    P
    Many

?

Looks like a good EM/NCO to my eyes. I had quite a few over the years.

Thank you Vocht, straight from the source! Your photographs were very helpful and I appreciate your confirmation here. I do not own any other Schuma pieces and am excited to be in "new territory!"