Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

WW2 Waffen-SS Gebirgsjager Edelweiss Patch M43 Feldmütze Cap Insignia

Article about: A few weeks ago I encountered a seller at my local flea market with several boxes of supposed WW2 German items. Many were classic fantasy fakes while others were more convincing. Once I spot

Default WW2 Waffen-SS Gebirgsjager Edelweiss Patch M43 Feldmütze Cap Insignia

A few weeks ago I encountered a seller at my local flea market with several boxes of supposed WW2 German items. Many were classic fantasy fakes while others were more convincing. Once I spot a fake in a group I proceed cautiously, but often times the good is mixed in with the bad. I was the first at the table, and over cover of darkness (it was 5:30 AM) I worked feverously with a flashlight clinched between my teeth; not the best way to make calm, rational, informed choices! While I was digging the seller kept putting more out and a small crowd began to develop. I saw him put two Early War US M1903 "Scant" stocks on the table and I had to move quickly as I knew those were what they appeared to be. As the sun began to rise

One box containing small items was filled with a mix of patches and badges, many of which were clearly fantasy. Limp cuff titles, sad SS "Tuxedo" badges and paper-thin screwback Iron Crosses, even a pair of old fantasy SS pith helmet shields for good measure. Digging deeper I began to find other pieces that seemed viable. Before moving over to the rifle stocks I managed to grab a half dozen "interesting" specimens and this Edelweiss patch was one of them (I will be posting several others here too).

The patch felt reminiscent to WW2 era US "cut edge" SSI patches and had the look of age about it. The black backing material is very close to that of a "Dachau" sleeve Eagle in my collection, well described by fellow user John4022 as "very knappy and rough." The details of the flower, it's petals and stamens is very close to the good examples shown in this forum thread (WW2 SS Gebirgsjäger edelweiss badge for M43 Feldmütze). The measurements, as well as the details, are nearly identical to the example shown here, attached to an M43 cap (Page temporarily unavailable). Another supposed "genuine" example that had similar characteristics, especially the petals, can be viewed here (Hiscoll Military Antiques | Attractive, Waffen-SS-pattern black-coloured M43-cap-insignia (ie. 'Mutzenabzeichen') depicting an: 'Edelweiss'-flower as was specifically used by the various 'Gebirgsjager'- (ie. mountain-troops-) related divisional-staff). The patch also does not react / glow under UV light.

I would really appreciate the experienced eyes of the forum to take a look at this patch and share any criticisms, opinions and thoughts you might have about it. I thankfully did not have to invest much into any of the pieces procured that day and would still be happy to have this one in my collection as a "place holder" if it were in fact a reproduction.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture WW2 Waffen-SS Gebirgsjager Edelweiss Patch M43 Feldmütze Cap Insignia   WW2 Waffen-SS Gebirgsjager Edelweiss Patch M43 Feldmütze Cap Insignia  

WW2 Waffen-SS Gebirgsjager Edelweiss Patch M43 Feldmütze Cap Insignia   WW2 Waffen-SS Gebirgsjager Edelweiss Patch M43 Feldmütze Cap Insignia  

WW2 Waffen-SS Gebirgsjager Edelweiss Patch M43 Feldmütze Cap Insignia   WW2 Waffen-SS Gebirgsjager Edelweiss Patch M43 Feldmütze Cap Insignia  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement WW2 Waffen-SS Gebirgsjager Edelweiss Patch M43 Feldmütze Cap Insignia
    P
    Many

Looks fine to me.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

Adrian, thanks so much for the confirmation. This patch has been sitting in limbo for a week or two as I did not want to get too excited about what I did not know! Glad to add this one to the permanent collection, I very much appreciate you taking a look at it.

?

Very nice ! I picked up a similar one last year.

Regards, Al

Wonderful display Aldo, lots of good looking variety...and TWO fezs!

Noticed your copy of "Come And See" too, still very much an overlooked and unseen film in the US. I've read in several places that most of the ammunition being fired was live and that many of the wardrobe and props were original "captures." Few others can approach the look, the feel...the surreality. The short cutscene of the woman eating the lobster is one of my favorites, it really encapsulates the absurdity of the spectacle.