Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

1916 German Helmet/ Early SA Helmet

Article about: Cheers everyone, I just wanted to share with everyone an interesting helmet I recently acquired. It is a 1916 model German helmet with an interesting swastika painted on the front. the paint

Default 1916 German Helmet/ Early SA Helmet

Cheers everyone,

I just wanted to share with everyone an interesting helmet I recently acquired. It is a 1916 model German helmet with an interesting swastika painted on the front. the paint appears to be period done as it is very old, and has been on the helmet for the majority of its life. Although it is impossible to know exactly when the swastika was applied to the helmet, it is likely that it was done during the third Reich period as the back rivet holding the liner in place was produced during WWII and has obviously been there for the majority of the helmets life. I believe that this helmet may have been used in the early stages of the war by the SA or similar organizations before the production of the model 1935 helmet. as always, any opinions are welcome.

Cheers,
    Warbuff
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture 1916 German Helmet/ Early SA Helmet   1916 German Helmet/ Early SA Helmet  

1916 German Helmet/ Early SA Helmet   1916 German Helmet/ Early SA Helmet  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement 1916 German Helmet/ Early SA Helmet
    P
    Many

I'm not a helmet guy so my opinion is more of a guess than anything else
    but when I first saw your helmet, I got a very 1960s feel from it.
    gregM
    Live to ride -- Ride to live

I was addicted to the "Hokey-Pokey" but I've turned
    myself around.

MAP
    ?

Replaced liner band and pads? Legit Bell L shell.

Can't comment on the Swaz or it's purpose.
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Here is another example worn by Hermann Goering.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture 1916 German Helmet/ Early SA Helmet  

MAP
    ?

Yes, I've seen this / other images of the swaz on the front. I just can't confirm yours.

Still, while I'm happy to being proven wrong, and don't know the finer details on detecting real/repro liner systems on WW1 helmets, to me this looks like a repro.
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

The liner is definitely old, whether or not it has been replaced I don't know, but I am confident that it is original.

The swastika was used by the Freikorps from 1919-1923. The Ehrhardt Brigade helmets all had white swastikas painted on the front during the Kapp Putsch in Berlin, March 1920.

But, they only used static swastikas, not mobile ones like on this helmet, which only came about during the Third Reich.

Quote by bolewts58 View Post
    The swastika was used by the Freikorps from 1919-1923. The Ehrhardt Brigade helmets all had white swastikas painted on the front during the Kapp Putsch in Berlin, March 1920.

But, they only used static swastikas, not mobile ones like on this helmet, which only came about during the Third Reich.
    That would make sense as the rivet in the back of the helmet was produced during the Third Reich. The only thing that confuses me is why they would use newly made helmet parts on a WWI helmet opposed to being issued a new M35.