Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

368 Prussian Helmet - US or German Trench Art Mystery - Help?

Article about: Appealing to forum members to help decipher this WWI German Helmet- From a recent estate, with no one there having any idea as to it's history. Helmet is without liner, painted with a black

Default 368 Prussian Helmet - US or German Trench Art Mystery - Help?

Appealing to forum members to help decipher this WWI German Helmet- From a recent estate, with no one there having any idea as to it's history. Helmet is without liner, painted with a black banner across the front "368 PRUSSIAN" with cockades above and below, along with "ARGONNE" just above helmet brim. There is an Imperial crown on right side, skull with spike among grave markers "GOT MIT UNS" on right rear. Rear of helmet has a large banner "CHAMPAGNE", and an Imperial Eagle at left rear. Red and black battle axes to each side, and a large Iron Cross on helmet crown. Inside in white paint "LT. E. S. LYNE 4-11-19", "ABNER GREEN- FRANCE- 4-11-19, "J. E. CAF.... (ILLEGIBLE) 8-14-18". There also appears to be in black the orginal German soldier's name. There's a great story here, but I don't have enough knowledge to unravel it. Lt. E.S. Lyne served as a signal officer72nd INF., 36th DIV.- beyond that I'm lost. Exterior art I'd guess to have been done by a German soldier, but haven't come across anything like this before. Understand trench art helmets were mostly done by Americans but why would an American paint a German unit ID on the front? What do the red and black battle axes represent? Any help would be greatly appreciated- I'm stumped. Thanks, Dave
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture 368 Prussian Helmet - US or German Trench Art Mystery - Help?   368 Prussian Helmet - US or German Trench Art Mystery - Help?  

368 Prussian Helmet - US or German Trench Art Mystery - Help?   368 Prussian Helmet - US or German Trench Art Mystery - Help?  

368 Prussian Helmet - US or German Trench Art Mystery - Help?   368 Prussian Helmet - US or German Trench Art Mystery - Help?  

368 Prussian Helmet - US or German Trench Art Mystery - Help?  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement 368 Prussian Helmet - US or German Trench Art Mystery - Help?
    P
    Many

MAP
    ?

Dave,

As I noted in your introductory post, it is a great looking helmet and nothing is "screaming" fake to my eyes. I look forward to other members here to chime in as well. Just aways wary give the high quality fakes out there plus the lack of provenance.

I think Abner was probably the artist of this helmet. I have no idea who/what the 368 Prussian's were. Tried to do some searches but came up empty. Further there were US units fighting in the Champagne/Argonne battles (most notably in the July 1918 Champagne-Marne German Offensive) and these include the American 26th, 3rd, 28th and 42nd Infantry Divisions and the 369th Infantry Regiment.
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

This helmet has me stumped also. When I saw it yesterday the helmet raised more questions than answers.
    1. Helmet is a ww1 german helmet
    2. Helmet painted with german theme
    3. Wear on the top on helmet consistent with use
    4. Postwar GI signed
    5. Not practical for war time use

Maybe done by POW and kid play after the war?

I like the helmet.

Marty
    Fortune favors the brave 644th td

MAP
    ?

Quote by tank destroyer View Post
    This helmet has me stumped also. When I saw it yesterday the helmet raised more questions than answers.
    1. Helmet is a ww1 german helmet
    2. Helmet painted with german theme
    3. Wear on the top on helmet consistent with use
    4. Postwar GI signed
    5. Not practical for war time use

Maybe done by POW and kid play after the war?

I like the helmet.

Marty
    If original, I think it is a US post war vet souvenir/creation. Argonne/Champaign being the region they fought and 368 Prussian maybe being who they fought against. But the heavy "German" theme does have me stumped too.

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

My take on it is that it was a souvenir either picked up by Lt. Lyne and painted
    in France while waiting to be rotated home or possibly purchased in France while
    waiting to come home.

I have seen other painted up ww1 helmets that were unquestioningly done by vets
    during or just after the war. However none were as elaborate as this one.
    gregM
    Live to ride -- Ride to live

I was addicted to the "Hokey-Pokey" but I've turned
    myself around.

I would have it in my collection
    Fortune favors the brave 644th td

MAP
    ?

Quote by Chopperman View Post
    My take on it is that it was a souvenir either picked up by Lt. Lyne and painted
    in France while waiting to be rotated home or possibly purchased in France while
    waiting to come home.

I have seen other painted up ww1 helmets that were unquestioningly done by vets
    during or just after the war. However none were as elaborate as this one.
    Agree. With Abner Green being the artist. He probably had a little side business painting these up for vets going home.

Quote by tank destroyer View Post
    I would have it in my collection
    Without a doubt

I would love this to be in my collection too!

Joel

?

368 would be the regiment the helmet was from (IR368) . Why Prussia? The divisions facing the US there were from vary German states. The cockades are copied from the German cap. As to why such a German theme, well it is a German helmet.

?

Here is the history of Infantry Regiment No. 368:

IR 368 – GenWiki

An interesting helmet with very elaborate, post WW1 American decoration. It is a souvenir, possibly commemorating action against that infantry regiment, it may have actually been collected from the discards of surrendering troops.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast