Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Ear cut M18 evaluation

Article about: Collective wissdom... I aquired this ear cut transitional M18 recently from a well respected dealer but as I am to some degree colourblind some aspects of reissued (and repainted) helmets ma

Default Ear cut M18 evaluation

Collective wissdom...
    I aquired this ear cut transitional M18 recently from a well respected dealer but as I am to some degree colourblind some aspects of reissued (and repainted) helmets make me uncertain. I have my wife to ask for informations about colours but even then...Maybe I should have posted this helmet first before buying it, but nevertheless here it is..
    This is what the dealer said in his description :

'Very desirable and untouched M18 ear-cut-out steel helmet. This helmet was issued first during WW1 and reissued in WW2 as an apple green double decal army helmet. After that it got reissued AGAIN, having a rough green layer of paint covering both decals shield on each side. The helmet received another army decal on top, that has worn off by time. Inside shows a white factory reissue size marking ‘56,55’. Complete with original installed M31 helmet liner and full length chin strap. The strap is marked but hard to read. Shell is marked ET64 (under the thick layer of paint) as it should be.'

The ET64 marking is very difficult to read. I think seeing the '64'. I took some close up pictures of the remnants of the decal and I think I can recognise the silver pulver...

Thanks in advance
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Ear cut M18 evaluation   Ear cut M18 evaluation  

Ear cut M18 evaluation   Ear cut M18 evaluation  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Ear cut M18 evaluation
    P
    Many

The sellers description is pretty much spot on. I can see remnants of WW1 feldgrau or the transitional period green followed by the later darker WW2 period textured dark grey/green paint. I also see the outline of the national shield and of course a Heer shield. The M31 liner is what you’d expect to see and the wear is commensurate with the overall patina of the helmet. The same applies to the chinstrap. Can’t quite make out the size stamp accurately, however the vent lugs are 64’s and the shape of the helmet looks right.

For me, this is a good M18 ECO with a lot of history, and I think you’ve done well picking this one up.

Andy

This is a great M18 Eco and would fit perfect in every collection! Congrats you did a good job!