Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here

ET66 Splotch Camo

Article about: Hi everyone, What do you think of this one. I'm looking to trade this one for a WW2 first and second pattern German pith helmet. Both in great shape. What do you think. Is this helmet legit.

Default ET66 Splotch Camo

Hi everyone,

What do you think of this one. I'm looking to trade this one for a WW2 first and second pattern German pith helmet. Both in great shape. What do you think.

Is this helmet legit. Always a minefield with camo's. Nicely unit marked and from an UK collector. At first sight I like it. I was just puzzled by the 66 size and the marking on the liner 64 (?).

Looking forward to your comments.

ET66 Splotch Camo

ET66 Splotch Camo

ET66 Splotch Camo

ET66 Splotch Camo

ET66 Splotch Camo

ET66 Splotch Camo

ET66 Splotch Camo

ET66 Splotch Camo

Cheers Paul

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement ET66 Splotch Camo
    P
    Many

Hi Paul,

Based on these photos, my first impression is that the paint is period and has a great overall patina. I like this helmet. The marking on the liner band is curious and it appears that the front right liner pin is not original to the shell with a lack of similar paint. Also, and this is a real oddity, the liner pads appear to have a line of stitching at the top of the liner pad instead of just along the bottoms and side. The size of the holes on the tongues for the liner look as though they may have had metal grommets like the Austrian liners. Could it be a period fitted Austrian liner?

I would like to study this one a little more as it’s quite intriguing and could be a good addition to your collection. Some closeups of the liner pads from on top and underneath would be great if possible.

Andy

MAP
    ?

I would follow Andy's suggestions, but liner pad questions aside I really like the rest of the helmet.

As far as a trade for two Pith Helmets....it's all what makes you happy.
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Hi Paul,

Now home from work and having a closer and it appears to be an Austrian steel liner band and not WW1 German.

Another thing to note is the change in colour/patina either side of the band which indicates that there may have been a larger band covering that area such as an M16 leather band or even an M17 steel band.

Having said that the patina is overall quite commensurate, so perhaps a period replacement?? Have never seen an example of that myself, but may very well have happened.

If the price is OK, might be worth picking up for the nice camo regardless of any question marks over the liner band.

Andy
    Last edited by AndyM35; 03-30-2023 at 08:26 AM. Reason: Typo.

Thx for all excellent comments. I do like the helemt but unfortunate the seller didn't want to get in to the trade I suggested. He offered me a reasonable price, but since Brexit, the import taxes and VAT are killing me. So I had to pass.

My dear UK brothers and sisters, you should have never left the EU.

The Aussie liner makes this one even more attractive. A rare and beautiful helmet.

Cheers Paul

Quote by AndyM35 View Post
    Hi Paul,

Based on these photos, my first impression is that the paint is period and has a great overall patina. I like this helmet. The marking on the liner band is curious and it appears that the front right liner pin is not original to the shell with a lack of similar paint. Also, and this is a real oddity, the liner pads appear to have a line of stitching at the top of the liner pad instead of just along the bottoms and side. The size of the holes on the tongues for the liner look as though they may have had metal grommets like the Austrian liners. Could it be a period fitted Austrian liner?

I would like to study this one a little more as it’s quite intriguing and could be a good addition to your collection. Some closeups of the liner pads from on top and underneath would be great if possible.

Andy
    I'm afraid the deal didn't come materialized.

Cheers Paul

Quote by Irish1965 View Post
    I'm afraid the deal didn't come materialized.

Cheers Paul
    Sorry to hear that Paul. Unfortunately these things happen from time to time, but it makes it even better when you do land one you’ve really been looking for!

Andy