Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Help identification Stahlhelm M18

Article about: Hello, I am new to Stahlhelm, while usually I collect visor caps. Btw I found this M18, I have some doubt that has been repainted, I made a red arrow to some paint drops What do you suggest?

Default Help identification Stahlhelm M18

Hello,
    I am new to Stahlhelm, while usually I collect visor caps. Btw I found this M18,

I have some doubt that has been repainted, I made a red arrow to some paint drops
    What do you suggest?

The producer is ET 66, the numbers are not clear.

A question, for M16-17-18 was a serial number normally written beside the producer, as for M35?

Is it worth to buy?

Many Thanks

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Help identification Stahlhelm M18
    P
    Many

MAP
    ?

No, these did not have lot numbers stamped in the same location as WW2 helmets. Often there is a steel batch number struck on the inside top of the dome. Often very hard to see or not visible at all.

To me it looks like a salty but solid helmet. It is missing a liner pin and the strap is broken but otherwise it looks complete and untouched

While the exterior paint is not the original base layer, I would venture that it is a war time repaint (happy to hear other views on this)

My only question is the squarish dent on the top of the helmet. I'm sure that it is just a dent, but it almost looks like it was a hole that was repaired (prior to the 2nd layer of paint being put on). I'm sure it is probably just a trick on my eyes.
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Agree with what Michael has said above.

This example may have been pick axed at the end of WW1 judging by repaired area, and then pressed back into service late WW2 while retaining its WW1 liner and simply having a repaint with a dark grey as sometimes happened. You can see a similar example of a pick axed WW1 helmet below along with some further discussion on the topic.

M18 ECO- Repaired Pick Axe Damage

Quote by MAP View Post
    No, these did not have lot numbers stamped in the same location as WW2 helmets. Often there is a steel batch number struck on the inside top of the dome. Often very hard to see or not visible at all.

To me it looks like a salty but solid helmet. It is missing a liner pin and the strap is broken but otherwise it looks complete and untouched

While the exterior paint is not the original base layer, I would venture that it is a war time repaint (happy to hear other views on this)

My only question is the squarish dent on the top of the helmet. I'm sure that it is just a dent, but it almost looks like it was a hole that was repaired (prior to the 2nd layer of paint being put on). I'm sure it is probably just a trick on my eyes.
    Thank you for you positive review, I lost an auction for another M18, with a broken pad...
    this one, if probably repainted in the 30ies is a nice piece

Quote by AndyM35 View Post
    Agree with what Michael has said above.

This example may have been pick axed at the end of WW1 judging by repaired area, and then pressed back into service late WW2 while retaining its WW1 liner and simply having a repaint with a dark grey as sometimes happened. You can see a similar example of a pick axed WW1 helmet below along with some further discussion on the topic.

M18 ECO- Repaired Pick Axe Damage
    Thank you for this info, so, if repairs were made of pick axed post WWI helmets, that should be an interesting piece. I didn't know that they were pressed back, no I read the topic you suggested

I don’t think it was common practice but I have seen a few example of pick axed helmets being re-used. In that configuration, there is also the possibility that it may have been used after WW1 as Freikorps or Reichswehr helmet. For me, an interesting helmet for sure!
    Last edited by AndyM35; 09-26-2022 at 08:55 PM.

I actually want a pick axed/repaired helmet for my collection. I'd like to find one.