Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Help identifying M16/17 Helmet

Article about: Hey, I'm inquiring on the authenticity of a helmet that I've had since I was a kid. I picked it up at a gun show around 15 years ago, at the time I wasn't particularly concerned whether it w

Default Help identifying M16/17 Helmet

Hey,

I'm inquiring on the authenticity of a helmet that I've had since I was a kid. I picked it up at a gun show around 15 years ago, at the time I wasn't particularly concerned whether it was an original or not. However, recently I've taken notice of it and I cannot identify what it is.

It has a very peculiar shape to it, especially the slight angle at which the ear cover very gradually transitions into the brim. I haven't seen many WWI stalhems with this characteristic. Also strange is the very obvious unevenness of the the vent ports. I've searched tirelessly for a maker/size stamp and have had no luck in finding it, if one existed on it, it has since been ground off or covered with paint. I'm fairly certain the paint is not original, I'm also positive the liner is reproduction but the shell I believe to be original.

Does anyone have any idea what this thing is?

Regards.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Help identifying M16/17 Helmet
    P
    Many

Do I see grey paint under the sprayed green paint layer?

I think helmet shell is Finnish used, post-war repaint from 1950-ties and early 1960-ty period. First painted grey, then again green. Green color is identical.

Liner and chinstrap isn't Finnish issued.
    It most likely had m/55 finnish helmet liner inside it. Pins look like they are from ww2 german helmet.
    Someone changed them and added New m17 liner and m16 chinstrap.

Thank you Verikhauha for your input! If it is an original WWI shell used by the Finns it has a fascinating history indeed. Was it common for Finnish helmets to lose the manufacturer / sizing stamps through refurbishment?

In the spots where the paint is chipped away, there is some areas where a copper/rust colour presents. I'm not sure if that is old paint or just patina. The paint on the helmet is very prone to marks and scratches.

In regards to the shell, I've heard that the chinstrap pin location indicates this is a German manufactured helmet. The only problem I have believing that is the poor quality control on this helmet (the uneven vent and liner holes). I've read that this issue was common with Austro-Hungarian helmets but not German ones.

Viewed from on top it looks nothing like the shape of Imperial German steel helmet. Also, the chinstrap posts are bit too far forward and also the points are facing straight down rather than pointing slightly backwards. Looks like aluminium under the paint and not steel. The standard of manufacture is just too poor to be imperial German and this makes me think it may well be an old movie prop. I’d be interested to know how much it weighs.

Andy

Weight is important, check it.

It's just a touch lighter than my original M35. It's considerably lighter than my repro M16, however the shell is also much smaller. I don't think it's aluminum as the shell is magnetic. It almost kind of resembles a Vickers helmet, I'm aware that they were made of thinner steel.

Quote by Pisspot View Post
    It's just a touch lighter than my original M35. It's considerably lighter than my repro M16, however the shell is also much smaller. I don't think it's aluminum as the shell is magnetic. It almost kind of resembles a Vickers helmet, I'm aware that they were made of thinner steel.
    You could be correct there! Just had a look at a Vickers and the tips of the liner pins did point down rather than backward. The shape of a Vickers viewed from the top is also the same as your shell. These also had a badge affixed to the front, so check inside to see if there are any signs of old holes that have been filled.

It’s not in original condition by the looks of it. but these helmets are rather scarce as many were destroyed, so if it is a Vickers shell it’s still a cool helmet.

Below is a link to a Vickers helmet that has been restored in case you decide to go down that path.

Where can i get replacement Liner for Irish Vickers Helmet???

Andy
    Last edited by AndyM35; 12-03-2023 at 07:38 AM. Reason: Addition of link.

Below is MAP’s Vickers and another example.

I think you’ve solved it Pisspot!

My Vickers helmet

Irish M 27 Vickers Helmet

Thanks Andy for your assistance! I’m fairly certain it is an M27. The shell is covered with patina under the paint, also with it being steel it just seems hard to believe someone would go to these lengths to make a repro. It checks almost every box of the M27 in terms of appearance.

The only oddities are the uneven vent ports (which I suppose could be attributed to poorer quality manufacture at Vickers), the lack of front badge holes and the lack of a stamping (which could be explained by someone’s obvious attempt to restore it into a German M17 helmet at some point. I’m in Canada so it’s not impossible that such a helmet would find its way here.

Quote by Pisspot View Post
    Thanks Andy for your assistance! I’m fairly certain it is an M27. The shell is covered with patina under the paint, also with it being steel it just seems hard to believe someone would go to these lengths to make a repro. It checks almost every box of the M27 in terms of appearance.

The only oddities are the uneven vent ports (which I suppose could be attributed to poorer quality manufacture at Vickers), the lack of front badge holes and the lack of a stamping (which could be explained by someone’s obvious attempt to restore it into a German M17 helmet at some point. I’m in Canada so it’s not impossible that such a helmet would find its way here.
    I have a re-purposed M16 German helmet shell that also has uneven vent lugs (see below). These things happened from time to time. Other oddities have included a heat lot code being stamped on the outside of the dome instead of the inside. A Bell L shell with flat edged vent lugs rather than the usual rounded ones. I agree that it’s strange about the lack of stamps and badge holes but as you say they may have been filled and especially with the mild steel it may not have been too hard to do so. I recently sold a German WW2 helmet to a German collecting friend that had previously been in America since the war and then came to Australia before gonging back to Germany, so some helmets certainly do get around!
    Help identifying M16/17 Helmet

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast