Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

I could use some help with this Stahlhelmet :)

Article about: Hi guys, I recently found a seller who is willing to sell me a WW1 Stahlhelm. I was curious for your opinions on it because to me it does look very nice. Any info and/or input is appreciated

Default I could use some help with this Stahlhelmet :)

Hi guys,

I recently found a seller who is willing to sell me a WW1 Stahlhelm.
    I was curious for your opinions on it because to me it does look very nice.
    Any info and/or input is appreciated

Thanks in advance!

I could use some help with this Stahlhelmet :) I could use some help with this Stahlhelmet :)
    I could use some help with this Stahlhelmet :) I could use some help with this Stahlhelmet :) I could use some help with this Stahlhelmet :)

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement I could use some help with this Stahlhelmet :)
    P
    Many

It’s an original German WW1 Helmet with a shell size of either 60/62. Will need better closeup hi res photos of the helmet shell if possible as the paint is not quite right. You can see this particularly inside where the paint on the chin strap posts looks quite glossy and new but this could just be the poor lighting. Hard to judge patina from these photos. Would like to see some closeups of the liner and strap as well.

Hi Andy,

Thanks for the response. Now you mention it, it does look a little too shiny on the inside. I will ask the seller to provide me with more photos.

Kind regards,

Lars

Hi Lars,

Sometimes, the shine can be from 100 years of handling etc which ads a sheen but this looks a little too much. Also the area around the chinstrap posts should show wear from the steel fittings rubbing. The colour doesn’t seem quite right either but then again it can look different depending on the lighting. Here a few photos to illustrate what 100 year old patina and wear should look like.
    Andy

I could use some help with this Stahlhelmet :)I could use some help with this Stahlhelmet :)I could use some help with this Stahlhelmet :)

We do need better photos. The configuration is for the so called M16 version with leather liner band. We can tell it is a small size by the air vents that doubled as hardware to hold on the extra frontal armor. The vents have a double stack to accommodate the armor. It stands a chance. NH

I appreciate the insight Andy and Neil!
    Judging by the helmet Andy posted, it does look a little too good to be true. But then again, it is also true that lighting can make a big difference. I give it a fair chance that somebody touched it up a bit, but I'm not sure yet. I have asked the seller to provide me with better photos, but so far no luck.

I will keep this thread updated and let you know when I know more!

Kind regards,
    Lars

Just for your information Lars, the images I posted are of 3 different helmets from my collection. I posted the 3 to give an idea of what the general Imperial steel helmet looked like. The middle one is actually camoed on the outside and the last one is depot reissued with a brush applied overpaint. The paint is what you would call feldgrau however this slightly olive/grey tends to darken over time on some examples depending on the storage conditions etc.

Andy

Hi guys,

I figured it would be decent to at least give some form of a follow-up response.
    So, the (private) seller is not responding to my messages and my request for more photos, even though it is clear that she has read them (green check marks).
    I will take this as a sign that the seller is not honest with me and as a hint that there is probably somehting up with the helmet. Maybe next time I will be a bit more lucky.
    Afterall the hunt is a big part of the joy of collecting.

Thanks again for your responses!

Kind regards,
    Lars

Hi Lars,

Thank you for the update. If a seller does not wish to provide further assistance in selling an item then I would keep looking. Depending on your budget there are plenty of Imperial German WW1 steel helmets for sale. Please keep posting them here for approval before you buy and I’m sure you will have an original one soon.

Andy

Cheers!

Im willing to spend around 300 euro's on it.
    I know it is a bit tricky to get a nice helmet for that price, so that's why I was excited when I saw this one.
    I will post more when I see a niece piece coming up!

Kind regards,
    Lars

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast