Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here

M16 ?

Article about: Hi All, I have this helmet in my collection since I was a kid (40 years ago) and back then there was no such thing as internet ;-) I guess what I have is a M16 helmet. Can you guys tell me m

Default M16 ?

Hi All,

I have this helmet in my collection since I was a kid (40 years ago) and back then there was no such thing as internet ;-)

I guess what I have is a M16 helmet. Can you guys tell me more about it ?

Also do you try to replace the liners or you leave your helmets as is ? My liner is mostly gone.

ThanksM16 ?M16 ?M16 ?M16 ?M16 ?M16 ?M16 ?M16 ?M16 ?M16 ?M16 ?M16 ?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement M16 ?
    P
    Many

Based on the photos it looks like a nice original M16 Imperial German steel helmet with what appears to be a “splotch” type of camo with some “brick red” coloured paint period applied. This example has a steel band fitted which commenced in 1917 due to a shortage of leather. It’s a size 64 helmet made by Eisenhuettenwerke Thale A.G., Thale /Harz who made all sizes helmets from 60-68.

Personally I think the helmet is fine as it is and a replica liner would look out of place against the patina of an original helmet. Also, I wouldn’t want to remove the remaining pad as this would be changing the original/as found condition of the helmet.

Andy

Nice helmet and good advice from Andy.
    gregM
    Live to ride -- Ride to live

I was addicted to the "Hokey-Pokey" but I've turned
    myself around.

Thanks a lot for the infos Andy.
    I wasn't thinking about a replica liner but more about a period original liner if I could find one.
    What do you guys think ?
    Worth it or better to leave my helmet as is ?

?

Better not to stir the helmet.
    If you do this any experienced collector will see your intervention. Then the helmet will be suitable to be made into a lamp or you will have to lie some to sell it. Leave it as it is. If you don't like this one, look for another one.

Yes, period liners are very hard to find and there are some pretty decent fakes out there as well. Occasionally you can find original single pads, however the area of leather held the pad in behind the liner band is usually missing as this is the point at which they tend to break. Personally, I'd prefer to keep the helmet as I found it as I will always know that its not original to the helmet. Also, the helmet will display fine as it is, and if you want to find one in complete condition they are certainly out there if you go hunting.

Perfect. Thanks I will follow your advices. Cheers