Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

M16 with battle damage. Size 62 marked BF 62. Does the damage look real?

Article about: Hi I am looking for a battle damaged or solid example of a M16,M18. In my search I found this example. Any thoughts about the battle damage or if its a good shell to purchase/display. Also i

Default M16 with battle damage. Size 62 marked BF 62. Does the damage look real?

Hi I am looking for a battle damaged or solid example of a M16,M18. In my search I found this example. The helmet has what I believe is battle damage, I think it looks good as a display. Also if anyone is selling a M16 message me.

M16 with battle damage. Size 62 marked BF 62. Does the damage look real?M16 with battle damage. Size 62 marked BF 62. Does the damage look real?M16 with battle damage. Size 62 marked BF 62. Does the damage look real?M16 with battle damage. Size 62 marked BF 62. Does the damage look real?M16 with battle damage. Size 62 marked BF 62. Does the damage look real?M16 with battle damage. Size 62 marked BF 62. Does the damage look real?M16 with battle damage. Size 62 marked BF 62. Does the damage look real?
    Last edited by Kaikun2001; 06-28-2021 at 12:24 PM.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement M16 with battle damage. Size 62 marked BF 62. Does the damage look real?
    P
    Many

MAP
    ?

Looks like an original shell with a bullet entry and exit. Not much more to add really.
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Small size too

I think that the small sizes are cool to own aswell, Although I must admit owning one that fits your head is important. I was looking also earlier at a mint M16 Si62 with 95% of the paint left, with original leather pads and liner. The size does not fit me, but the helmet sure displays well. What do you think should I wait for a decent size 66?

Quote by Kaikun2001 View Post
    I think that the small sizes are cool to own aswell, Although I must admit owning one that fits your head is important. I was looking also earlier at a mint M16 Si62 with 95% of the paint left, with original leather pads and liner. The size does not fit me, but the helmet sure displays well. What do you think should I wait for a decent size 66?
    The smaller sizes are a rarer as well. Personally, I wouldn’t try to wear a helmet in original condition for fear of damaging the liner etc. if you want one to wear, purchase a replica or an original helmet that has been refurbished post war.

Beware of the first seller. The mimkri is probably a fake. It looks like the liner is chemicaly aged. Riga is sadly enough the capital of fakes.

For the second one I have doubts about the liner, the leather is doesn't looks convincing. It's 'In hand experience' You should smell the leather and it should have no smell. Than you know that the leather is really old. If you smell leather or worse chemicals (Used to age the leather) it not authentic. The shell looks ok to me.

The third one is a common shell with some impact damage probably from schrapnels. But who knows.

The decal helmet is out of my expertise. What I know is that there a more fakes than originals. Best to save up and buy from a trustworthy dealer and not from E-bay so you have a guaranty of returning the helmet if not ok. The first helmet with the bullet damage, the small one is the most interesting IMO.

And for wearing the helmets, a hundred year ago people and their heads of people where much smaller due to a less food, compared to the diet of today. Most people had head sizes around 54/56 cm during WW1 and during WW2 56/57 cm. Today it's around 60 cm in the western world. So most of my helmets don't fit me. As for my pickelhaubes; the leather shrunk to a childs size. Better not to wear the to keep them in the the current condition. If you are a re-anactor better to use a replica as Andy stated.

Cheers Paul

I was not sure about the camo helmet either, as I thought the sides of the helmet did not look 100% right. But the age of the paint and camo looked really good. Also here is a close up on the leather from the Si62 helmet.

Also I do apologize about going a bit off topic regarding the first shrapnel helmet above. Generally looking for more advice and knowledge about what to buy.
    And what’s real.

Best regards Kai
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture M16 with battle damage. Size 62 marked BF 62. Does the damage look real?  
    Last edited by Kaikun2001; 06-28-2021 at 12:20 PM.

Don't apologize, There's no need. All members together have a lot of knowledge and are happy to be of advise in our passion of collecting. I had a lot of help and good advise so far from members. It saved me (and my bankaccount) for buying garbage.

As for the liner of the second helmet. I never have seen a leather stamp on a liner. Mostly there are ink stamps on the inside , if any. But that's because I didn't had many complete WW1 helmets in my hand. I can't make out the manufacturer. Something like Osnabruck und Boley 1917?? I couldn't find the company on the internet. The close up looks promising. As I said before it's a 'in hand' experience. Or in this case a calculated risk.

Cheers Paul

Thank you for the info Irish1965.This community has been really helpful in gaining more knowledge, and of course the benefit of chatting with new people. I will ask more about the leatherstamp. I know there is alot of risk in buying from ebay, but sometimes there is high reward with that risk. Do you have any sites that are based in the Eu that are selling decent M16/M18 helmets. Or anyone in this forum that is selling one?

Best regards Kai

Hi Kaikun,

Your enthusiasm is admirable a good to see, but could you please follow the instructions of MAP, one of our admins, and start a new thread for each helmet. This will stop any confusion. For example, members who have already commented on a post, will not likely comment on a second or third helmet in the thread as they will assume they have already commented on your post. .

Regarding the camo, I would not purchase based on these photos. You will always need good hi res photos to properly assess the originality of any helmet, not just camos.

Andy

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast