Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here

M16 - Bell-L 64?

Article about: Pulled out a box this morning and took this one out -a pretty good looking M16. The exterior paint is in good condition but the is some unfortunate rust on the rolled edge over the wearer’

Default M16 - Bell-L 64?

Pulled out a box this morning and took this one out -a pretty good looking M16. The exterior paint is in good condition but the is some unfortunate rust on the rolled edge over the wearer’s left ear, probably the result of sitting on a damp basement or garage floor for decades. That damage does not really detract much but does make it impossible to see the maker/size stamp. I think it is a Bell-L 64 based upon the stepped beveled vent lugs. It has a liner with all three pads, but the tabs have all been knawed off by mice, presumably when it was left neglected in the cellar. All three cushions remain however. Haven’t looked at this one in years and have no recollection as to when and from whom I bought it, but I like it and it displays fairly well. Hope you like it. Jim G.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture M16 - Bell-L 64?   M16 - Bell-L 64?  

M16 - Bell-L 64?   M16 - Bell-L 64?  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement M16 - Bell-L 64?
    P
    Many

More exterior photos.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture M16 - Bell-L 64?   M16 - Bell-L 64?  

More exterior photos.

The interior shots.

I like the patina on this one Jim, a great looking classic M16.

Yes, definitely a Bell L Jim! And a very nice one too.

Interesting, while most Bell L helmets have the rounded edges on the vent lugs, there are some examples that were fitted with the more squared off/regular type. Bell manufactured helmets are also notable for the thicker rear liner pin.

I have an M16 with a similar rust issue as yours and was down to poor storage in a humid location. I inspect it every now and then and apply a small amount of Renaissance Wax to the area. It has now stabilised and there has been no change in the last three years.

Andy