Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

M16 Camouflaged Helmet

Article about: I was thinking about adding this helmet to my collection. I just wanted to know if the camouflage is original and if the overall helmet looks good. It does have a coat of shellac over the he

Default M16 Camouflaged Helmet

I was thinking about adding this helmet to my collection. I just wanted to know if the camouflage is original and if the overall helmet looks good. It does have a coat of shellac over the helmet but that doesn't bother me. Is $1150 a decent price for this helmet? Thanks for looking
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture M16 Camouflaged Helmet   M16 Camouflaged Helmet  

M16 Camouflaged Helmet   M16 Camouflaged Helmet  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement M16 Camouflaged Helmet
    P
    Many

It certainly "looks the part" but hard to tell with the shiny finish. Sort of killing the patina. One must be very careful with these...they are also heavily repro. So for me, an in hands look would help. The $$ they are asking for this is top dollar.

Great auction going on until next Saturday...Grenadierauctions. He has 2 of them listed that look more vibrant than this one. Might want to take a look. I believe the 2 he has are good. Lot 226 & 404

Nice 100% original helmet.

Quote by real steel View Post
    It certainly "looks the part" but hard to tell with the shiny finish. Sort of killing the patina. One must be very careful with these...they are also heavily repro. So for me, an in hands look would help. The $$ they are asking for this is top dollar.

Great auction going on until next Saturday...Grenadierauctions. He has 2 of them listed that look more vibrant than this one. Might want to take a look. I believe the 2 he has are good.
    Thanks for the reply, I'll check those helmets out!

- - ------- - -

Quote by Sir Payne View Post
    Thanks!

Yep..lot 226 & 404

Quote by Sir Payne View Post
    Hi Sir P.
    Might I ask what you see here that convinces you 100% this is good ? Not "grilling you"...just really would like to know what characteristics you see here that you can guarantee this 100% ?

I like this one for many reasons, and see no red flags. Everything from the camo pattern to the colors used is correct. Also the strokes in the paint and the general wear match other examples I have seen, handled and owned. The first thing I look at with these is the paint around the rivets and vents. What is visible here looks totally authentic and natural. I'm not in the market for one, but would buy this based on the pics.

I do not see the expected wear patterns on high points of this, nor the rim edges. I get a bit paranoid with these being I attend many US shows & the tables are full of "convincing" repros that some of the best helmet heads need a hands on inspection. The recent artwork is increadable on these. Patina is a big issue & this one has been glazed over.
    The man who created the CH decal also is a master of M16-18 camo repaints. So well done, hands on & then some is needed to confirm authenticity.
    But as with all camos...it's up to the buyer, if he is happy with it, no problem.

Quote by real steel View Post
    it's up to the buyer, if he is happy with it, no problem.
    Thank you for your concerns! Im brand new to collecting WWI helmets and I know camo is a minefield. For a college student $1100 is a lot to drop on something so I just wanted it to be discussed on the forum to make sure Im not making a obvious mistake. The thing that I was wondering is why would someone paint the chin strap swivels white? Also the visor has a small hole present.
    Attached Images Attached Images M16 Camouflaged Helmet  M16 Camouflaged Helmet 

Look for another

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast