Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here

M16 K64 Double Camoflage

Article about: This is a re-post due to some new information and photos. This example is interesting in that it has a camo in the style of the July 1918 directive by Chief of General Staff Ludendorff who o

Default M16 K64 Double Camoflage

This is a re-post due to some new information and photos.

This example is interesting in that it has a camo in the style of the July 1918 directive by Chief of General Staff Ludendorff who ordered all helmets in the field to be camouflaged in a variety of earthy colours with panels divided by finger wide black lines. However, this example would appear to have an earlier camo underneath which can still be seen in some panels with other swirling brush strokes outlined below the solid panels.

While re-shooting these images yesterday in daylight, I also noticed a K before the size 64 stamp which means this shell is one of the scarcer examples being manufactured by none other than J. & H. Kerkmann, Ahlen/Westf, who only manufactured helmets in size 64.

M16 K64 Double CamoflageM16 K64 Double CamoflageM16 K64 Double CamoflageM16 K64 Double CamoflageM16 K64 Double CamoflageM16 K64 Double CamoflageM16 K64 Double CamoflageM16 K64 Double CamoflageM16 K64 Double CamoflageM16 K64 Double CamoflageM16 K64 Double CamoflageM16 K64 Double CamoflageM16 K64 Double CamoflageM16 K64 Double Camoflage

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement M16 K64 Double Camoflage
    P
    Many

One of my favorite helmets and your pictures really make the camo stand out. WOW!!! Finding out the rarity of the manufacturer is 2 cheerier on top.

Marty
    Fortune favors the brave 644th td

Thanks for the kind words Marty! Much appreciated.

Amazing the amount of things I’ve noticed on some of my helmets, particularly WW1, when studying them in daylight, including some that have been in the collection for some time. These images unfortunately don’t show the K for Kerkmann at all and in hand it is very lightly stamped which makes me wonder if this is another Kerkmann trait as the others I’ve seen are light stamped too. The size marking is quite string though. Yes, a very nice surprise to discover this little bit of info.

Andy

That is a really great helmet.
    gregM
    Live to ride -- Ride to live

I was addicted to the "Hokey-Pokey" but I've turned
    myself around.

MAP
    ?

Always great when you find out something new that you've owned for a while and though you've extracted all you could already!

A great looking shell!
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Quote by AndyM35 View Post
    Thanks for the kind words Marty! Much appreciated.

Amazing the amount of things I’ve noticed on some of my helmets, particularly WW1, when studying them in daylight, including some that have been in the collection for some time. These images unfortunately don’t show the K for Kerkmann at all and in hand it is very lightly stamped which makes me wonder if this is another Kerkmann trait as the others I’ve seen are light stamped too. The size marking is quite string though. Yes, a very nice surprise to discover this little bit of info.

Andy
    I only own 1 steel helmet and it is marked K64. Here is the mark for you to compare against.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture M16 K64 Double Camoflage  
    gregM

myself around.

Congratulations Greg! That’s a Kerkmann too! They often have a longer front visor although mine doesn’t appear to. Is there a thread for your helmet?

Andy

Thanks Andy.
    Here is a link to mine-----
    my new M16 helmet
    gregM

myself around.

Looks fantastic Andy ! It's interesting when you re-visit items from your collection & study them in varying degrees of daylight, especially late afternoon, you can 'pull out' all sorts of detailing.
    Cheers
    Paul

So true Paul. Studying an item in daylight can reveal so much more and the colour of the paint can change so dramatically.

One thing I find particularly interesting about collecting Imperil German helmets is that they often have multiple names etc, so when I receive a new helmet I always check underneath the pads just in case. Last year when I received a new WW1 steel helmet, I discovered the following signature on the steel liner band of all places. Often dealers don’t have the time or interest to check in these places so you can often be pleasantly surprised.
    M16 K64 Double Camoflage