Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

M16 "Mimikri" beauty

Article about: Here I want to share some photo's of my M16 "Mimikri" with nice patina and paint paterns. This beauty has been found in a barn in München. So presumably the soldier brought his he

?

Default M16 "Mimikri" beauty

Here I want to share some photo's of my M16 "Mimikri" with nice patina and paint paterns. This beauty has been found in a barn in München. So presumably the soldier brought his helmet back home and kept it there. The camo is stil looking good.

M16 "Mimikri" beauty
    M16 "Mimikri" beauty
    M16 "Mimikri" beauty
    M16 "Mimikri" beauty
    M16 "Mimikri" beauty
    M16 "Mimikri" beauty
    M16 "Mimikri" beauty
    M16 "Mimikri" beauty
    M16 "Mimikri" beauty
    M16 "Mimikri" beauty
    M16 "Mimikri" beauty

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement M16 "Mimikri" beauty
    P
    Many

A nice period applied camo IMO Enix. Size 64, appears to have had a wax or similar applied in the intervening years as was quite common until more recently. Perhaps the soldier brought it back, coated it with bees wax or similar and left it in the barn!? Potentially a BF manufactured shell judging by the paint drips. Overall, a very nice survivor. Congratulations!

Andy

?

Hi Andy,

Thank you for the friendly and informational reply

Yes, I do love it. Your theory could be right! It's still looking good for the time spent in a barn. The liner is completely gone, but there a very small patch of jute behind the liner. It's gotten black. I also like that.

I am on no way an expert, but how do you see so quickly that it's a size 64? Do you get that from the shape / sizing of the helmet? Very cool to learn such information.

?

Lovely Camo helmet!
    Great addition to your collection.

Cheers
    Ger
    Congratz

Quote by Enix View Post
    Hi Andy,

Thank you for the friendly and informational reply

Yes, I do love it. Your theory could be right! It's still looking good for the time spent in a barn. The liner is completely gone, but there a very small patch of jute behind the liner. It's gotten black. I also like that.

I am on no way an expert, but how do you see so quickly that it's a size 64? Do you get that from the shape / sizing of the helmet? Very cool to learn such information.
    Hi Enix,

I can tell it’s a size 64 by the depth of the step on the vent lug. As well as providing airflow, the vent lugs on the sides were made to support the brow plate or stirnpanzer. As these were only made in one size, the vent lugs from sizes 62-64 had a step while sizes 66-68 didn’t. Once you see enough of the, you can tell visually which is which quite easily. The little size 60’s were the deepest.

In one or two of the pictures the paint on the exterior looks very shiny but in some not. Could just be the flash or sometimes lots of handling. Its been said that paint on camos can be effected by the climate of the country where they end up post war. Either way, the aim was for the paint to conceal the soldier with a dull appearance that broke up its shape and wasn’t glossy in appearance.

Below two little size 60’s and a 66 for comparison.
    M16 "Mimikri" beautyM16 "Mimikri" beauty
    Last edited by AndyM35; 06-02-2024 at 09:28 PM. Reason: Addition of pictures.

Very nice helmet Enix, well found.

?

Hi guys,

Andy, thanks again for the informational answer. I learn a lot from these answers! I never knew that.

And I just bright lighting (studio lights) for the photo's, so perhaps the paint looks shiny due to that.

And thank you Blackcat

MAP
    ?

Nice find. Congratulations
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Superb patina. Excellent helmet. Do you have some information about the original owner since it's a recent find.

Cheers,

Paul

?

Thank you for the nice replies

@Paul, I checked with the seller, but unfortunately he has no more information, other than that is has been found in a barn in München.

Best regards,
    b>

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast