Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

M16 - Opinions sought

Article about: I've owned this M16 for many years, but have often wondered about its provenance and the originality of the lining. The remaining paint appears to be a feint washed out green, with remnants

Default M16 - Opinions sought

I've owned this M16 for many years, but have often wondered about its provenance and the originality of the lining.
    The remaining paint appears to be a feint washed out green, with remnants of a black overpaying. I suppose that it wouldn't have been uncommon to paint these black in the post war era for political or civil use.
    As for the liner; it appears correct in detail, but very supple and fresh looking in relation to the age of the helmet.M16 - Opinions soughtM16 - Opinions soughtM16 - Opinions soughtM16 - Opinions soughtM16 - Opinions soughtM16 - Opinions soughtM16 - Opinions sought

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement M16 - Opinions sought
    P
    Many

I am no expert at all when it comes to helmets but I agree with
    your concerns. The leather and draw string definitely do not
    look to be 100 years old. I would guess that they are new replacements.
    gregM
    Live to ride -- Ride to live

I was addicted to the "Hokey-Pokey" but I've turned
    myself around.

An original M16 shell with a replaced liner. Can’t see enough of the leather liner band but it too might be a replacement. If you look at the shell compared to the liner it’s quite obvious the two are at odds with regards to age/wear and hence originality. Looks like most paint have been stripped back with most of the feldgrau paint also removed. The black paint is interesting as it does appear to have age to it.

Andy

Just thought I'd add some better quality pics; one showing the horse hair inside the hessian pad, whilst another shows the imprint that the hessian pad has left on the leather, indicating that it has been there for a protracted period of time.M16 - Opinions soughtM16 - Opinions soughtM16 - Opinions soughtM16 - Opinions soughtM16 - Opinions soughtM16 - Opinions sought