Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

M16 TJ68 Camoflage Helmet

Article about: It’s been a while between drinks as they say, but today I added a new camo to the Imperial German helmet collection. This one is a sized 68 helmet made by C. Thiel & Soehne, Luebeck, w

Default M16 TJ68 Camoflage Helmet

It’s been a while between drinks as they say, but today I added a new camo to the Imperial German helmet collection. This one is a sized 68 helmet made by C. Thiel & Soehne, Luebeck, who made shells in sized 66. & 68, and is the largest WW1 helmet that I own. Without the regulation finger width dividing lines, the major colours of holly green and ochre yellow, work together to create a division with some original field grey coming through from underneath. The leather liner band has shrunken somewhat with the passage of time and while the horse hair is missing, all of the leather pads remain in situ but one is folded over quite firmly. While it would be tempting to soak them in warm water to straighten them, I think I will leave them as they are. There are also still some traces of white chalk around the vent lugs and between the liner band and shell.

And of course I couldn’t resist doing the almost obligatory little guy/big guy comparison, so have paired it with a size ET60 steel banded M16 shell. Big Bertha and Little Ed
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture M16 TJ68 Camoflage Helmet   M16 TJ68 Camoflage Helmet  

M16 TJ68 Camoflage Helmet   M16 TJ68 Camoflage Helmet  

M16 TJ68 Camoflage Helmet  
    Last edited by AndyM35; 02-12-2023 at 03:46 AM.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement M16 TJ68 Camoflage Helmet
    P
    Many

I really like this one. Jim G.

Cracking helmet Andy and great photography too - that is a roll of black paper you have used for the background?

I love the first pic - the contrast between ochre and green. So is 68 the largest they did for WW1 helms?

nick

Beautiful addition Andy to your WW1 collection,congratulations on acquiring this gem.

Quote by helmet2id View Post
    I really like this one. Jim G.
    Thanks Jim!

MAP
    ?

That is a sweet looking helmet. Great photos! Jealous too
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Quote by HoundsTooth View Post
    Cracking helmet Andy and great photography too - that is a roll of black paper you have used for the background?

I love the first pic - the contrast between ochre and green. So is 68 the largest they did for WW1 helms?

nick
    Thanks Nick! Yes, the usual cardboard I should have waited for a day when it was a little overcast as there’s a little too much shine on top. Will re-shoot another time.

Size 68 appears to be the largest, however I have heard and read that size 70 shells were produced, but I have never seen an example and have only heard of people that have seen them!

Andy

Great helmet, Andy and I really like your "big guy, little guy" photos.
    Well done
    gregM
    Live to ride -- Ride to live

I was addicted to the "Hokey-Pokey" but I've turned
    myself around.

It's got the look Andy!

Quote by Chopperman View Post
    Great helmet, Andy and I really like your "big guy, little guy" photos.
    Well done
    Thanks Gregg! Yes, it’s a great way of illustrating the size difference. Not only is the circumference a lot more on the 68, but it looks stretched as well.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast