Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here

M16 WW1 Stahlhelm potential purchase - my first

Article about: Hello Everyone, I have been keen on purchasing a Stahlelm for a while now and fancy the WW1 examples as my first dip into these historic items. Something about the shape... Anway I saw this

Default M16 WW1 Stahlhelm potential purchase - my first

Hello Everyone,

I have been keen on purchasing a Stahlelm for a while now and fancy the WW1 examples as my first dip into these historic items. Something about the shape...

Anyway I saw this one and would like your opinions. The seller says there is no maker mark or size stamp that he can see . It would appear to me to be a size 66.. I would have thought that the size stamp (which is deeper) would show up as this rust isn't that deep on this example.. As it has the leather band on the liner this would make it the first type and would these examples not be the first to be sure to have a size stamp?

The seller wasn't really cooperative with my questions, claiming it could be seen the state of the helmet and that further questions weren't necessary and that asking if there were any holes wasn't necessary as he would have said that in the description. Sort of don't ask and assume everything is mentioned sort of attitude. Said I should have phoned him but I'm on a ship at sea too far from the mobile network. Why have a web site if contact questions are frowned upon?

In fact it looked like light surface rust that will some cleaning and a good rub with beeswax might come up quite nicely...

As my funds don't stretch enough for a good example I don't want to find I have purchased something 'non German Imperial' The helmet to me appears original in terms of what to look out for.

Anyway opinions appreciated..

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement M16 WW1 Stahlhelm potential purchase - my first
    P
    Many

Helmet looks authentic to me. There shouldn't be any question as to holes because the degradation is no where close to the level of holes. That said, there appears to be heavy pitting from rust. This is longterm, not fresh rust. Additionally, the pictures make it hard to determine what if any original paint is left. The level of rust has me rather unconcerned with the size/maker stamps as they would be difficult to see. More so, something odd is happening with the chinstrap at the 12 o'clock position. It looks tucked into the liner as opposed to being on the clip. Which brings up to the chinstrap at the 6 o'clock position which looks like it is just looped onto the clip, but not properly. The color of the chinstrap is odd to me and I can not speak to it in 100% confidence. Pictures are of subpar quality. I think one couldn't go wrong if under $300 USD. If significantly more, pause and wait for a better example. The difference in price is well worth the wait. WW1 helmets are out there - I have found 2 separate camo shells, 3 separate regular shells and 2 complete Austrians this year alone out of the woodwork. They come around. I would not be in a hurry. Patience is everything.

Thanks...

I know the guys don't like to talk prices (or at least give evaluations). This is up for $650 US (UK seller). I thought it was a bit spicy at that price...

Funny talking about being patient as it's difficult to resist. Living in France I know I'll find another (better) locally. I don't want deep rust at that price.
    I fancy a relic to restore and a decent one to lighly keep and cherish (if one cherishes old steel helmets)..

I felt the photos weren't all they could be and missed some important areas. As a buyer online the information and photos are all you have and it doesn't help when you get substandard replies to reasonable questions..

Well it's wait and watch for me then...

Regards

I understand the concern with not wanting to discuss prices, but sometimes guardrails are important for safety when driving, if you catch my drift. There are several big sellers in America that will ship to Europe both from their websites and from ebay. I would recommend cruising until a decent example comes up and asking the seller if they will ship to Europe. Most experienced sellers will. If you get a seller who won't ship, then I am sure there is someone you can find who will forward it on your behalf.

The helmet is 100% untouched and straight from the trenches. Perhaps sat on the battlefield for a while before being picked up, or poor post war storage. With this in mind it wouldn’t be unusual for the stamps to have worn away as some manufacturers were known for light stamping.
    I would refrain from trying to preserve it with anything as they will be altering its condition. I had considered purchasing it myself due to untouched look but decided the rust was a little too much.

Andy

thanks Andy...

Yes I thought it looked genuine. If the stamping has gone then it's heavier rusting than I thought. I've seen quite a few heavy rusted ones that were 'repaired' 'renovated' and they could still find some stampings. I thought the size stamp was a heavier one but I bow to your experience.

Yes the approach of the seller and the things that don't make me feel so good about it have decided it's a no for me.

I have plenty of my French contacts to check in with and see what they have. A visit in January to Verdun will give me some inspiration to check what's about. I keep missing the military fairs so that doesn't help...

Regards

Mark

MAP
    ?

Quote by AndyM35 View Post
    The helmet is 100% untouched and straight from the trenches. Perhaps sat on the battlefield for a while before being picked up, or poor post war storage. With this in mind it wouldn’t be unusual for the stamps to have worn away as some manufacturers were known for light stamping.
    I would refrain from trying to preserve it with anything as they will be altering its condition. I had considered purchasing it myself due to untouched look but decided the rust was a little too much.

Andy
    I agree with Andy. A combo of war time exposure compounded with 100 years of poor post war storage.

Still it is a complete and intact helmet. I would not clean or treat it in any way. It will be out of balance if you do.
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Thanks Gents,

For my first it's a no. At half the price and with some provenance it could have been a decent 'as is example' but it has lost appeal to me. Well the hunt can be as much fun as the prize (or kill)...

Mark
    Last edited by ouroux71; 11-15-2022 at 07:04 AM.