Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here

M17 K.u.k. Trans helmet re-issued WW2. Ex DD - Afrika??

Article about: Hi everyone, I just bought a K.u.k. M17 helmet re-issued in WW2, Ex DD. It has stampings on top of the dome reading B202 size 66, I think. That would make it a Bleckmann & Poldihutte. Th

Default M17 K.u.k. Trans helmet re-issued WW2. Ex DD - Afrika??

Hi everyone,

I just bought a K.u.k. M17 helmet re-issued in WW2, Ex DD. It has stampings on top of the dome reading B202 size 66, I think. That would make it a Bleckmann & Poldihutte. The helmet has been painted post ww2 first yellow and than black. The paint has been removed for a large part. Under this layer the WW2 Feldgrau is visible and the shadow of double decals. I intend to remove the remaining black and yellow but before i do I would like to have your opinion if there is a remote possibility that it's Afrika Korps yellow. I do not know if these were used in Afrika.

If not what is the best and safest way to remove the 'postwar'paint? I plan to put in a original M31 liner. It should be a aluminium early version I suppose, but I have seen these WW1 helmets with zinc liner systems. Where they issued with these??

Let me know what you think and many thanks.

Cheers Paul

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement M17 K.u.k. Trans helmet re-issued WW2. Ex DD - Afrika??
    P
    Many

It was pointed out to me that the yellow was in fact the yellow of the Norwegian Civil Defence. So the helmet was first used in WW1 on the Austrian-Hungarian front. After that possibly used by the Reichswehr or post WW1 Austrian troops. Than re-issued by the Wehrmacht with DD ending up in Norway in WW2. Than re-issued by the Norwegian civil Defense.

I lot of history in one object. I plan to bring it back to the Wehrmacht state without the decals of course. I think they were remove all together in 1942/43.

Cheers Paul

Hi Paul,

Certainly a helmet with a lot of history as you say. Congratulations!

There are a number of ways you could go with regards to the restoration of the liner. On some examples that I have seen, the original WW1 steel band was retained however I think predominantly an M31 liner was fitted in aluminium and later on steel. This example still retains a very nice patina on the inside which I’m sure you will retain. Really looking towards to seeing the end results.

Andy

It's a great start for a restoration project but personally, I like the looks
    of the paint that is on it.
    gregM
    Live to ride -- Ride to live

I was addicted to the "Hokey-Pokey" but I've turned
    myself around.

Paul, to answer your question regarding the most appropriate liner band, it really does depend a lot on what type of WW2 helmet you want to represent. I would go for aluminium if you decide on a DD as this is what these were first refurbished with. The zinc plating came later with the introduction of the steel liner band when WW2 was in full swing, so you could also try to represent a later refurbished single decal WW1 shell. You could always use an aluminium liner band, place decals either side, and paint over them to represent an early transitional that has been re-painted mid to late WW2 in a dark textured feldgrau. There are a lot of different variations that you could go with.

As I said earlier, I do like the remaining inside paint and agree with Greg with regards to the outside paint. I guess you could always try to remove some of the yellow paint as sympathetically as possible, I think that could look pleasing as well.

Andy

Default Restoration in progress

Thx for your input. I did remove the yellow paint and want to leave it like that. I did some investigation on the liners and all M18 helmets I could find had zinc liners. I think due to early use they were refurbished also early. I found a DD K.u.k. DD that matches my helmet. It has the same weird rivet holes. One is higher than the other. I will not put on decals but keep it as original as possible. Less is more.

First the DD with zinc liner as my helmet once looked like.

And now my work in progress.:

I hope you like the progress so far. And the inside stays untouched.

Cheers Paul