Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Mimikry camo paint question

Article about: Hello, I would like to know a bit more about the colour red in mimikry helmets. Most of the time you only see ochre, brown and green camo helmets so it’s more of an uncommon colour to find

?

Default Mimikry camo paint question

Hello,

I would like to know a bit more about the colour red in mimikry helmets. Most of the time you only see ochre, brown and green camo helmets so it’s more of an uncommon colour to find on helmets but why are there examples of red being used? I am not aware of the colour red being mentioned in the rules on how you were supposed to paint the helmets or any mention of red in the lists with what colour units were supplied with. Was it more of an unofficial method ?

Best regards
    Anon

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Mimikry camo paint question
    P
    Many

What helmets are you talking about and also are you talking about red being mixed in with camouflage patterns? But if you are talking about m1 helmets being painted solid red then they were usually used by damage control on ships. If I'm wrong I please correct me

?

I am talking about imperial German helmets during ww1. The camo pattern I talk about is called mimikry. You can google it to see how it looks like. There were certain rules how you had to paint your helmet in this camo style but I am looking for more information about the colour red in specific

Hello Anon,

I have not come across any reference to the colour red being used on imperial German WW1 helmets specifically related to the July, 1918 directive handed down by Chief of General staff Ludendorff. The colours as indicated were to be in a variety of ochres and dull so as not to stand out. These colours were to be changed to suit the surroundings and helmets can be found in a variety of colours with yellow ochre, green and brown being the most predominant. These colours were to be separated by a black finger width dividing line but of course a variety of shades and interpretations can be found including helmets without any dividing lines. Some helmets were camoed multiple time depending on a change in terrain. It’s not out of the realms of possibility that some helmets were painted with red colour, however the evidence would show otherwise. Some camos have been encountered that have a blue shaded colour to them and it has been suggested that these were to mimic the colour blue in the brickwork of buildings and houses in a particular region. Certainly the paint looks period but examples are limited. We also need to take into account that many camos are painted post WW1, and as such, being painted close to the period of conflict would have have aged with a very convincing patina albeit perhaps with the appearance of little field use. Still, it’s always good to keep an open mind with all thing Militaria.

Here are a few examples from my collection.
    Mimikry camo paint question

Oh ww1 helmets sorry didnt meen to intrude not my area of knowledge.

?

Thank you Andy for the information! Beautiful helmets you got there. I wish I had a mimikry one. However I have the possibility to get one. Is it possible to show you pictures in private ? I am a bit scared that maybe someone else buys it before me if I show it publicly as I am looking for a nice one for 2 years now. Your inbox is full so I can’t send you a message through here.

Best regards
    Anon

?

No worries

Just checked my inbox and I should still have plenty of room for PM’s. Better to post to the forum though, as you will receive more opinions. Consensus from a range of members is much better than the opinion of one. Just don’t post the seller information, and if they do see it and buy it, they would have anyway, not because of my opinion.

Collecting militaria requires a lot of patience. It took me at least two years to obtain my first Imperial German camo and about five to land my first good transitional helmet. The more patient you are, the better the result in my opinion.

Andy

Anon, I don't mind looking either if you want to drop me a pm. I have no intention of buying another one any time soon.

?

Yes I try to be but the prices for militaria are climbing every month. At least that’s what it looks like to me and if I keep waiting a couple years more I will not be able to afford a helmet anymore as I don’t want to spend thousands on a helmet. The first mimikry helmet I wanted to buy was 2 or 3 years ago and since then I haven’t seen a good one that is affordable and I know that they are worth sometimes around 1-2k but I can’t pay more than what it’s worth and I also want to make sure that I like the individual camo. Militaria is just my side Hobby and not my main one but I love imperial German helmets so I need one to be satisfied
    I really like the one that I found. I will probably make a forum post also when I have all the pictures from the seller.

Anon

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast