Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

mle 16 turtle camo

Article about: Hello One of my prefered ww1 mle 16 camo helmet...

Thanks, but I'm quite happy with what I already know... and there is a limit (in this house) to how many books I can store in my office. But it is always handy to have the name of someone who really knows their onions.

Cheers,
    Steve

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement mle 16 turtle camo
    P
    Many

Quote by HARRY THE MOLE View Post
    Thanks, but I'm quite happy with what I already know... and there is a limit (in this house) to how many books I can store in my office. But it is always handy to have the name of someone who really knows their onions.

Cheers,
    Steve
    I guess having too many books is a good problem to have Steve, but I agree there is a limit to how many one can have

Cheers,
    Andy

MAP
    ?

Quote by AndyM35 View Post
    Hi Steve,

Andrea is actually a member of this forum and goes by the name of Sysyphus and he has provided a lot of assistance in the last year or so. Some of you will know him from other forums such as GHW etc He has most recently been a contributor to Oliver Lock's outstanding new book, "Stahlshutzhelme: The German Steel Combat Helmet 1915-1918". If you want to learn more about WW1 German Steel helmets, I suggest you pick up a copy.

I'll flick him an email in case he wants to comment. Otherwise perhaps send him a PM.

Andy
    I will certain vouch for Andrea's qualifications....as well as his superb collection LoL. One of the few "go to" guys I trust when I need a 2nd opinion on a helmet
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Don't see a helmet like this all that often, the pattern and color is amazing. The symbol is unique I've seen shields and machine gun insignia painted on, but never one of a soldier going "over the top". I don't think it means anything at all but there's a heart shape around the soldier on the front.

MAP
    ?

Quote by Politefaun View Post
    Don't see a helmet like this all that often, the pattern and color is amazing. The symbol is unique I've seen shields and machine gun insignia painted on, but never one of a soldier going "over the top". I don't think it means anything at all but there's a heart shape around the soldier on the front.
    Missed that!
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

That's a great looking helmet Phil - and unique, one would think, in the world of camos. And to top it off, quite a rare size / manufacturer combo.

The symbol, with the top hat and ladder, does indeed look very much like a chimney sweep to me. That would be my guess as to what it represents. Also, being size 60 may have meant he was a small fella - better to get up chimneys?

I think Wolf said he thought it would 'detract' from the camo, but i would disagree with that - it's a disruption style of camo and i don't think having the logo on the front would affect that.

I'd also vouch for Andrea's knowledge on these WW1 helmets - it's worth reaching out to him for his opinion if you are able to.

Nick

Thank you very much for your reply Nick. I'd like to contact Andrea (I don't know him) but according to Andy it takes a little time for him at the moment, and I dare not disturb him. If someone knows him well, maybe he can send him the photos. In all I really like this helmet because it allows everyone to let their imagination run, and it's true that I had a crush on it when I acquired it a few years ago.
    Thank you all for the interest that this helmet has aroused

?

If you really want Andrea to reply, post it up on GHW, where he moderates.
    Regards,
    John

I know in France, at least in Alsace....it is good luck to have your picture taken with a chimney sweeper, I still have mine from 1966.....so, maybe some sort of good luck symbol
    "Youth would be an ideal state if it came a little later in life" - Herbert Henry Asqulth

OK John, I'll contact him on GHW. Thank you for this advice!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast