Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

My M16 Camo Stahlhelm.

Article about: Hello everyone, I got this one a while ago for € 450,- It's in a very nice condition, and I'm pretty sure that it's a German M16 and not an Austrian M16. But the rivets for the chinstrap are

Hello everyone,

I hope that people are still willing to share their thoughts after all these weeks.
    I tried to do it earlier but I either had no time or the weather did not want to help me.
    I wasn't able to take allot of pictures and these aren't the best either, but I hope that they can still help.

Your thoughts are greatly appreciated!

My M16 Camo Stahlhelm.My M16 Camo Stahlhelm.My M16 Camo Stahlhelm.My M16 Camo Stahlhelm.My M16 Camo Stahlhelm.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement My M16 Camo Stahlhelm.
    P
    Many

Thanks for the additional images. Would like to see more closeup photos of the paint and liner. Apart from the shot of the inside of the skirt these are a little too small to enlarge for a detailed hi res view. From these it’s still not one that immediately grabs me as being an original period paint scheme. The scaled/bubbly surface in the rear skirt is odd. Looks a bit like the paint was applied over some oils or something similar on the surface. Also appears something like dirt and sand has been added to give the appearance of age however you will note that just above the liner pad there appears to be a section that is spotless which is odd. And before anyone says it - I know that sand was at times added to paint and dirt on the shell for camo. To me the paint just doesn’t look 100 years old but this is just my opinion of course.

I would like to see more closeups but for me this is one that needs a lot of scrutiny and not one that I would be comfortable purchasing.

Did you post it up on the German Helmet Wallhalla site?

Andrew

Is the liner looking questionable to you ? Something you need "better pics of" ? I had & still do have reservations with the originality of this liner from my first reply. Would need to see detailed pics of it to be sure. The "scaling" to the inside rear skirt (if that's what concerns you) is seen often on WW2 helmets of all models. Poor preparation, oily residue, etc.etc. That's seen sometimes.
    D.

Was thinking oil on the skirt David as mentioned in my reply above. Better outdoor pics of the liner would be good. The previous photos from a few weeks back were taken indoors with a lot of flash bouncing off the paint. These outdoor ones are good but not closeup enough. As an exercise Ive gone over to Wallhalla and looked at the thread of original examples paying particular attention to the patina. I look at about 20 and then come back to this helmet. I just don’t think it has patina. The lack of chips and scrapes on a combat helmet is at odds with known examples. The paint on the front visor appears to have no wear from handling whatsoever. There is also that odd bare patch inside the dome or is it sanded away?

I want this one to be good for the OP and again it’s just my opinion and the feeling I get.

I would be interested in hearing Andrea’s thoughts.

Andrew

Quote by AndyM35 View Post
    Thanks for the additional images. Would like to see more closeup photos of the paint and liner. Apart from the shot of the inside of the skirt these are a little too small to enlarge for a detailed hi res view. From these it’s still not one that immediately grabs me as being an original period paint scheme. The scaled/bubbly surface in the rear skirt is odd. Looks a bit like the paint was applied over some oils or something similar on the surface. Also appears something like dirt and sand has been added to give the appearance of age however you will note that just above the liner pad there appears to be a section that is spotless which is odd. And before anyone says it - I know that sand was at times added to paint and dirt on the shell for camo. To me the paint just doesn’t look 100 years old but this is just my opinion of course.

I would like to see more closeups but for me this is one that needs a lot of scrutiny and not one that I would be comfortable purchasing.

Did you post it up on the German Helmet Wallhalla site?

Andrew
    Hello Andrew,

I am planning on taking more pictures, of course.
    And I can grantee you that the liner is definitely not spotless.
    The patina doesn't really show in these pictures, I'll do my best to capture that when i have the time.
    The ''scaling'' doesn't worry me, I've done my own research as well (I don't want to make you guys do all the work) and I've come across other examples that also had it.

I explained the ''sanding'' in my OP, it was a communication error that unfortunately led to the inside being scraped away using acid and steel wool. I did get 100 euros of my purchase though.
    I still have to post it to German Helmet Wallhalla, I forgot to do that!

(And thank you for taking your time looking into it, that's greatly appreciated!)

Quote by real steel View Post
    Is the liner looking questionable to you ? Something you need "better pics of" ? I had & still do have reservations with the originality of this liner from my first reply. Would need to see detailed pics of it to be sure. The "scaling" to the inside rear skirt (if that's what concerns you) is seen often on WW2 helmets of all models. Poor preparation, oily residue, etc.etc. That's seen sometimes.
    D.
    The liner does not concern me, but I'll post some more pics of it just to be sure. The liner LOOKS clean in this picture but it's definitely not. Minuscule particles fall off whenever I handle it.
    I'm assuming that the oil "scaling'' effect also happend with WW1 helmets? I've seen multiple (including mine of course) that appear to have it.

You have the helmet in hand and will be the one that can really see any patina and the detail in general. I wasn’t too concerned with the liner from the photos - just looks to have sagged. The oil is not unusual and could be from the helmet being handled with oily hands prior to painting. Soldiers were handling oily gun parts etc then of course picking up their helmets so some contamination would have occurred and of course the paint prep wouldn’t have been the best on the battlefield.

Be interesting to hear what the Walhalla crowd think of it. To me, even with the new outside photos I'm a skeptic. It just doesn't have the look or wear we expect from century old paint. Virtually free of chips and scratches on the dome, and everywhere else, IMO doesn't ring true.

Hello everyone,

here are some more pictures.
    I have no idea why they are upside down, when I open them on my computer they're normal.

My M16 Camo Stahlhelm.My M16 Camo Stahlhelm.My M16 Camo Stahlhelm.My M16 Camo Stahlhelm.My M16 Camo Stahlhelm.My M16 Camo Stahlhelm.My M16 Camo Stahlhelm.My M16 Camo Stahlhelm.My M16 Camo Stahlhelm.My M16 Camo Stahlhelm.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast