Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Named M16 Stahlhelm by Hermann Weissenburger & Co., Stuttgart-Canstatt

Article about: One that came to me this week via eBay, this size 66 M16 manufactured by Hermann Weissenburger & Co., Stuttgart-Canstatt (who only made size 66 shells), appears to have been relatively l

Default Named M16 Stahlhelm by Hermann Weissenburger & Co., Stuttgart-Canstatt

One that came to me this week via eBay, this size 66 M16 manufactured by Hermann Weissenburger & Co., Stuttgart-Canstatt (who only made size 66 shells), appears to have been relatively lightly used and has no major damage other then light rust bleed and scratches. Herman Weissenburger only made shells in size 66 with the letter ‘W’ being the manufacturer code, with a heat lot code that looks like R for Stahlwerk Röchling,Volkingen followed by the numbers 858, this example is finished in a somewhat shiny feldgrau paint that is leaning more towards a shade of olive rather than the more common grey/green observed by a lot of manufacturers. I’ve noticed that this colour seems to be somewhat synonymous with this particular manufacturer. I’ve also noticed a tendency for these shells not be too heavily stamped with the second numeral 6 often stamped more lightly, at least anecdotally.

The liner band is in nice condition and looks to be of early production which aligns nicely with the shiner paint, with the one missing pad made up for by the remaining two being named. There are also a couple of attempts at a 1916 BA stamp on the liner band. To the rear is the faint remains of some writing in pencil which is now mostly gone. With one vent lugged filled up with some mud, the names, the paint and manufacturer, this one had enough going for it for me to want to add it to my collection, and in doing so hopefully save another feldgrau example from being ruined by the camo fakers.
    Named M16 Stahlhelm by Hermann Weissenburger & Co., Stuttgart-CanstattNamed M16 Stahlhelm by Hermann Weissenburger & Co., Stuttgart-CanstattNamed M16 Stahlhelm by Hermann Weissenburger & Co., Stuttgart-CanstattNamed M16 Stahlhelm by Hermann Weissenburger & Co., Stuttgart-CanstattNamed M16 Stahlhelm by Hermann Weissenburger & Co., Stuttgart-CanstattNamed M16 Stahlhelm by Hermann Weissenburger & Co., Stuttgart-CanstattNamed M16 Stahlhelm by Hermann Weissenburger & Co., Stuttgart-CanstattNamed M16 Stahlhelm by Hermann Weissenburger & Co., Stuttgart-Canstatt
    Named M16 Stahlhelm by Hermann Weissenburger & Co., Stuttgart-Canstatt
    Named M16 Stahlhelm by Hermann Weissenburger & Co., Stuttgart-CanstattNamed M16 Stahlhelm by Hermann Weissenburger & Co., Stuttgart-CanstattNamed M16 Stahlhelm by Hermann Weissenburger & Co., Stuttgart-CanstattNamed M16 Stahlhelm by Hermann Weissenburger & Co., Stuttgart-CanstattNamed M16 Stahlhelm by Hermann Weissenburger & Co., Stuttgart-Canstatt
    Last edited by AndyM35; 12-09-2023 at 10:36 AM. Reason: The usual typos.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Named M16 Stahlhelm by Hermann Weissenburger & Co., Stuttgart-Canstatt
    P
    Many

A lovely find Andy, so iconic these helmets !
    Cheers
    Paul

What a beauty! I really love the more olive tinge Graugrün!
    Thanks for sharing!

Very nice rescue Andy, not been able to decipher the inked name yet. Not sure if we are looking at one or two original owners names or not. But a real piece of history for sure. Congratulations.

Quote by BlackCat1982 View Post
    Very nice rescue Andy, not been able to decipher the inked name yet. Not sure if we are looking at one or two original owners names or not. But a real piece of history for sure. Congratulations.
    Thanks BlackCat! I’m going to do some comparisons using a website with Sutterlin letter examples. I’ll post up my guesses

Hi Andy.

The name looks like Schnitzerl or Schnitzler.

Kind regards,

Will.

Quote by Willmore View Post
    Hi Andy.

The name looks like Schnitzerl or Schnitzler.

Kind regards,

Will.
    Thanks Will! The pencil writing on the back looks like it might start with an Sütterlin ‘a’ perhaps?

MAP
    ?

That's a beauty Andy. Another winner. Love the paint color
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Quote by MAP View Post
    That's a beauty Andy. Another winner. Love the paint color
    Thanks Michael. This colour does appear to be a bit more often encountered with this particular manufacturer. Having said that, I don’t think I have any German WW1 steel helmets that are exactly the same shade of green..

?

I am same opinion about sutterlin name Schnitzler could be there.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast