Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Need a quick opinion on this M16 Helmet!

Article about: Hello Forum, I´ve been on the search for a nice M16 for rather a long time, and i have found this one, its an Si produced shell in Size 62, with the name "Gefreiter Hervardo" insi

Default Need a quick opinion on this M16 Helmet!

Hello Forum,

I´ve been on the search for a nice M16 for rather a long time, and i have found this one, its an Si produced shell in Size 62, with the name "Gefreiter Hervardo" inside.
    One liner pad is missing, but the other parts of the helmet are in a nice condition.

Did i miss something, are there any red flags i did not see? If yes, your help would be greatly appreciated!
    As always thanks in advance for any comment!

Regards,
    Adravor

Need a quick opinion on this M16 Helmet!Need a quick opinion on this M16 Helmet!Need a quick opinion on this M16 Helmet!Need a quick opinion on this M16 Helmet!Need a quick opinion on this M16 Helmet!Need a quick opinion on this M16 Helmet!Need a quick opinion on this M16 Helmet!Need a quick opinion on this M16 Helmet!Need a quick opinion on this M16 Helmet!
    Last edited by Adravor; 06-26-2020 at 10:10 PM.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Need a quick opinion on this M16 Helmet!
    P
    Many

looks a nice helmet to me, i know it's splitting hairs but they were called the M 17 with a metal liner ring.

Ah, thanks for the correction! I´ve seen helmets with these linerbands called M17 and M16, so i was a bit confused, thank you very much for clearifying that!

As no one showed any concerns, i bought the helmet. I´m happy i finally own a nice German WW1 Helmet! I will post more pic once it arrives.

?

Ok there was a conversation about the correct terminology about these. As I thought I had a M17 due to the metal liner band in my M16 helmet. They are M16 with leather or metal liner bands. The M17 is the Austrian made model of this Stalhelm. Just one of those tidbits of info shared here. I would copy the link, But I am currently on my phone and this Ole man ain't smart enough to figure that out yet

Confusion reigns! But i also remember the M17 was the Austrian version... but i also heard the liner band differentiated both... different sources say different things

Looks good to me Adravor and in nice condition. The chinstrap if original is a real bonus. This would be a nice one to add to the collection.

In his book The History of the German Steel Helmet 1916-1945 Ludwig Baer when writing about the change in liner band said “The next month (May 1917) saw the modification of the liner band. The leather liner band (Liner M16), to which the three liner pads were attached, was now replaced by a band of sheet steel (referred to as the Liner M17).

So in effect he sees only two distinct shell types those being M16 and M18. The liner setups are the distinguishing feature between the two.

I was in the same boat as Phil with my first steel helmet that I bought as an M17 but now describe as an M16 with steel band.

Andy

It arrived, Its really a nice piece. Today its raining and pretty dark outside, so i cant post outside pictures yet, but i will tomorrow.

Chinstrap seems original to me, the leather has an old feel to it, but its still in almost perfect condition, very soft. I think i will search for a stand, so i can displace the chinstrap in a way so it wont get damaged. The only problem i have is that the left liner piece has almost fallen off, and i´m scared that it might get worse (like it probably happend to the third piece), so far i put bubbel rap inside, so its supported, but i need to find a permanent solution to securing its state.

Also very interesting is the name, its not Hervado, but rather Schervado, today there are supposedly only 7 people living with that name, most of them from the Rheinland, i´ve found someone researching this name, and it turns out the few people (4 of the 11 are not in the Rheinland) are probably all relatives, so there is basically just one family named that way. One of them told the story that his name dates back to the 30 years war, and that an spanish soldier setteld in germany, after he was wounded... just a story, but still a very interesting one.

Congrats Adravor on your first M16! Good idea to support the liner - we see this often with Imperial steel helmets as the liner is not as well supported as the TR liner. As a solution, you could use one of those plastic baseball cap supports like I posted on earlier this year. See example below. They are cheap on eBay and you can trim the base off to fit in the dome.

Looking forward to seeing some photos.
    Andy

Here the Basic shots of the Helmet:
    Need a quick opinion on this M16 Helmet!Need a quick opinion on this M16 Helmet!Need a quick opinion on this M16 Helmet!

Heatststamp:

The Name, probably Gefr. Schervardo

Details of the Chinstrap, and the part where the liner is broken, the one sling has definitly seen some hard use.
    Need a quick opinion on this M16 Helmet!Need a quick opinion on this M16 Helmet!Need a quick opinion on this M16 Helmet!Need a quick opinion on this M16 Helmet!

Details of the Split pins, the big on on the back seems to be party broken off.
    Need a quick opinion on this M16 Helmet!Need a quick opinion on this M16 Helmet!Need a quick opinion on this M16 Helmet!

And here the only thing that is really making me worried, there is paint over pitting, right at the Size Stamp. I´ve looked all arround the helmet, and i see no other signs of this, and the paint looks fine everywhere else, but this slight section makes me question the whole helmet, could it be that just this specifc part was touched up by someone?
    Need a quick opinion on this M16 Helmet!Need a quick opinion on this M16 Helmet!

Comparison to other parts of the paintwork:
    Need a quick opinion on this M16 Helmet!Need a quick opinion on this M16 Helmet!Need a quick opinion on this M16 Helmet!Need a quick opinion on this M16 Helmet!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast