Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Stirnpanzer with camo

Article about: Hi everyone, I saw this Stirnpanzer for sale. It was, according to the seller bought from a Belgian museum. What do you think about this one? Cheers, Paul

Default Stirnpanzer with camo

Hi everyone,

I saw this Stirnpanzer for sale. It was, according to the seller bought from a Belgian museum. What do you think about this one?

Stirnpanzer with camo

Stirnpanzer with camo

Stirnpanzer with camo

Stirnpanzer with camo

Stirnpanzer with camo

Stirnpanzer with camo

Stirnpanzer with camo

Cheers,

Paul

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Stirnpanzer with camo
    P
    Many

Not convinced from what I see. I don't like the shape, nor the paint. Did he send pictures of the stamps? I would approach this one with caution. Jim G.

Im with Jim on this one. I’m not getting a feeling that this is a period paint job unfortunately Paul or if this shield is actually authentic. Have never seen a camoed shield before but would never rule it out. Would seem odd to paint the interior too! I also would not believe the story without any provenance.

Paint aside, like Jim has said, it would be interesting to see if there are any stamps.

Andy

Thanks. I will ask for pictures of the stamps. I had it in hand a few years ago. There were stamps. RV if i'm not mistaken. I also have my doubts on the camo. What do you think of the leather straps? They looks more like WW2 German equipment straps. It should have double rivets.

Thx so far.

Cheers Paul

Paul, in his book “Stahlschutzhelme””, Oliver Lock theorises that “RV” might be the manufacturers code for Rochlin’schen Eisen und Stahlwerke, Volkligen, so if what you can recall is correct, then that’s a positive sign. I agree with you on the strap. My gut instinct says not good.

What was your initial feeling on the paint when you held it in hand?

Andy

Hi Paul, I bumped a thread of mine from 2014. Sadly, the set went to Doug B. as part of a trade for an M42 double Runic SS helmet. Anyway, the one in the bumped thread is absolutely real. I think the pics in the old thread give you a good template for comparison to the camoed piece. Hard to tell from your pictures but it seems that the brow on the camoed piece is too pronounced. That was one of the concerns I had. Also, the cut outs where the plate would hang on the vent seem too round. Better pictures are needed from the seller. The strap on my old piece is NOT WWI vintage so don't use it as a comparison. Hope this helps. Jim G.

(Edit - Adding in the bumped threads here for future reference on Jim's behalf - MAP)

M16 w/Stirnpanzer - ET 66

Another M16/Stirnpanzer Combo
    Last edited by helmet2id; 07-05-2022 at 09:11 AM.

Forgot to add before that one way to test for authenticity is to hold the piece up by the strap an hit it with a mallet - a real one will RING like a bell. I bumped a thread with my other brow plate to give you more pics for comparison. Jim G.

Thanks guys,

The first impression I had when I had it in hand was that it was legit. The color looks different and the brown was not as outspoken as it is in direct sunlight. The weight was good. I have of course my old relic stirnpanzer that passes, even in relic state, the bell test. I will bring that along to compare. I will get new pictures next weekend and post them.

By the way I thought that RV was for Rhein Metal Vierssen.

Cheers Paul

Thanks guys,

The first impression I had when I had it in hand was that it was legit. The color looks different and the brown was not as outspoken as it is in direct sunlight. The weight was good. I have of course my old relic stirnpanzer that passes, even in relic state, the bell test. I will bring that along to compare. I will get new pictures next weekend and post them.

By the way I thought that RV was for Rhein Metal Vierssen.

Stirnpanzer with camo

Cheers Paul

A lot is still not known about stirnpanzers including the manufacturers codes etc, and some is still just conjecture. Unfortunately we may never know everything due to a lot of records being lost over the years and destroyed during WW2.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast