Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Strange visor/brim on German helmet

Article about: Hi all, picked this up a few days ago, thought the visor shape looked unusual. It's a model m16 (chin strap lugs on either side of helmet). Am I right? Here is a link to pics I posted on a w

Default Strange visor/brim on German helmet

Hi all, picked this up a few days ago, thought the visor shape looked unusual.
    It's a model m16 (chin strap lugs on either side of helmet).
    Am I right?
    Here is a link to pics I posted on a ww1 forum.....
    Any help appreciated!

Strange brimmed WW1 German Helmet - Great War Forum

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Strange visor/brim on German helmet
    P
    Many

Default Re: Strange visor/brim on German helmet

D8a8v8e.....please post photographs, or this thread is useless ! the link above does not work, as it appears "permission" needs to be granted ?.......if you can access it, save to your computer, and post here......
    Prost ! Steve.

I am a member there, so I have saved the pics to here.

Droop bill M16.

Cheers, Ade.
    Attached Images Attached Images Strange visor/brim on German helmet  Strange visor/brim on German helmet  Strange visor/brim on German helmet 
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

Gents, this helmet is rare variant and manufacturers and mm are still unknown....it is known as the "Full visor helmet" and is described in the book, "Stahlhelm" by F.R.Tubbs & R.W.Clawes, thus :- The full visor helmet is the same as the M16, except the visor extends from the dome from a much higher location, thus, the angle of the "flare out" is almost the same as the rear neck guard ! the outwood length of the front visor (from the face) remained the same, only the extra space by the forehead was increased.....it was at the time believed by officials that it would replace the regular M16. It may of been designed to accomodate the gas mask more easily, however it disappeared as fast as it had appeared, as it was made for such a short time.....
    Prost ! Steve.

Thumbs up Re: Strange visor/brim on German helmet

Thanks guys, sorry about that!
    Hope I can get some answers on this helmet now....

Very cool, not seen one before quite like this. Was this design meant to eliminate the problems with the 'square dip' helmets? Cracking at the angles etc.

?

Looks like a duckbill.
    What a strange 'duck' indeed.
    Thanks for pics

Strange visor/brim on German helmetStrange visor/brim on German helmetStrange visor/brim on German helmetStrange visor/brim on German helmetsome better pictures.......

?

Thanks for pics.
    Very illustrative indeed.
    What a strange variation.....
    Any input as to why they quit making it after only a short run (apart form the obvious)?

?

Agreed, a very rare bird indeed, ive never seen another, I would assume that the Civic Droop bill was copied from this design

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast