Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Strange visor/brim on german ww1 helmet

Article about: Hi guys. A while ago I bought this helmet: I thought that it was a normal m16 but the brim was inisual, so I made some research and I found this post on the forum: Strange visor/brim on Germ

Default Strange visor/brim on german ww1 helmet

Hi guys. A while ago I bought this helmet:
    Strange visor/brim on german ww1 helmetStrange visor/brim on german ww1 helmetStrange visor/brim on german ww1 helmetStrange visor/brim on german ww1 helmetStrange visor/brim on german ww1 helmet
    I thought that it was a normal m16 but the brim was inisual, so I made some research and I found this post on the forum: Strange visor/brim on German helmet
    What do you think? It can be a full visor helmet, or at least some sort of prototype helmet?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Strange visor/brim on german ww1 helmet
    P
    Many

I'm far from an expert, but maybe some sort of private purchase/modified helmet to have a less pronounced brim for better vision? I've seen photos of some troops who chopped the brim of their helmets off, but I'm not sure if this is one of them. I think you should wait for better opinions than mine, though.

Ok, thank you anyway! In any case I think it was made from one only piece because there isn't any welding marks.

It is indeed unusual and I haven’t seen one previously. It’s not a Droop Bill as the front visor should protrude more and have a nice gentle curve along the rim of the shell on the sides. It has smaller side air vents so should be a size 62. The shortened front visor doesn’t make sense as it would provide less protection than the regular M16 and it would not be designed for civic use as there wouldn’t be any requirement for the stepped vents which are incorporated to hold a shield. Yes, WW1 helmet were made form the one piece in a multi stamping process. The vents and chin strap posts were added later if applicable.

Are there any stamps inside the dome, on top or in the rear of the shell? Any chance of some outside photos?

Andy
    Last edited by AndyM35; 05-25-2020 at 04:39 AM.

There are no staps, but I know this is usual for a lot of helmet.
    Maybe this afternoon I will be able to take some photos.

i'd like to see more of it.
    so far looks to be a sort of postwar "freaky" shape as those cut out asian made you do see at times.
    the liner isn't period from here.

Strange visor/brim on german ww1 helmetStrange visor/brim on german ww1 helmetStrange visor/brim on german ww1 helmetStrange visor/brim on german ww1 helmetStrange visor/brim on german ww1 helmet

- - ------- - -

yea, the liner is a repro fom the 80s

Also I don't it's post war. All the post war helmets that I have seen was similar to the m18, not the m16. The only I know that is similar to the m16 is the m27 irish helmet.

Thanks for the new photos. These are much better. It does look to be an original shell of some type to me but not one I’ve ever seen before. Part of the inside skirt appears to have what looks like original feldgrau paint remaining.

I will see what else I can find out and get back to you. Would you mind if I shared these images with some advanced collectors?

I dont think its a repo either, condition and manufacturing seem to match an period piece. I like it, whatever it turns out to be it is for sure a rare piece.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast