MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Unknown Insignia On WWI Stahlhelm

Article about: As I mentioned in my previous thread, today I was lucky enough to find a couple of WWI era Stahlhelms at a local pawnshop. I bought one 'A really neat camo example' and I left the other at t

Default Unknown Insignia On WWI Stahlhelm

As I mentioned in my previous thread, today I was lucky enough to find a couple of WWI era Stahlhelms at a local pawnshop. I bought one 'A really neat camo example' and I left the other at the shop on layaway. Before the clerk took it away to be put on hold, I managed to get a photo of it. It's certainly a WWI era lid, but I'm fairly certain it has been reused in the post war period. The paint 'to my novice eyes' looks post WWI. In hand I could see faint traces of apple green paint underneath the top layer. What I found the most interesting though, was the insignia applied to the left side of it. I have personally never encountered such an insignia like this on a German helmet before.

Does anyone possibly have any ideas on what this could be? My first train of thought is that it's possibly Latvian reissued? The colors on the shield match Latvia's flag.. but maybe it could be something else? Any and all thoughts/opinions will be greatly appreciated!

Unfortunately I was only able to get this one photo before they took the helmet away. The insignia only appears on the left side, with the right side being blank.

Unknown Insignia On WWI Stahlhelm
    Last edited by Luftwaffe 1941; 03-07-2023 at 09:13 PM.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Unknown Insignia On WWI Stahlhelm
    P
    Many

MAP
    ?

I've seen post war prussian, Sachen and Reich painted shields. But never one like this. It doesn't look like any of the other Weimar era state flags to.

Still, it could be post war Weimar era or Freiekorp but this is just a guess.
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

One thing I see is that there is no indication that there was a rivet in place after the black paint was applied. I would be leary of this one. Please post the camo. Jim G.

Just saw the camo. Look at the holes where the rivets would have been on that one. You can see where the paint is missing around the circunference of the holes on that one. You don't see that wear/absence of paint on this one. Plus, to me the shield is a bit dubious. I think you bought the right one at that pawn shop. Jim G.

A curiosity for sure, I don't recognise the shield either. I agree the Mimikry helm was the best deal.

I greatly appreciate the thoughts on this lid. That's a very valid point about the rivet holes Jim. That's the sort of observation that went right over my head when I was looking at it in person. So it seems the paint and insignia are pretty fishy. Maybe this is another example customized by a biker in the 60s?

Nevertheless, I'll be bringing this helmet home in about a week. The price they were asking IMO was well worth it just for a decent shell. For less than $100 I couldn't let it pass by! Once I get it I think I'll carefully remove the black paint to expose what's left of it's original layer. I've done this in the past several times with WWII era lids, and the results have been pretty nice.

Thanks again for the helpful thoughts/opinions!

MAP
    ?

If and when you get it. Take proper photos and post it again before you start removing any paint.

I'm not hopeful, but there certainly is age to the paint and insignia......but then again....the 1960's were 60 years ago......
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

You might take a breath before removing any of the paint, or maybe try a small area. The black paint doesn't look that thick and I would be concerned that removing this will leave you with a bare metal lid. However the choice is yours and I will have my fingers crossed that you find some original paint beneath.

I went back to the pawnshop a few days ago and picked up this oddity of a helmet. After getting it home I noticed the paint near the front of the helmet is lightly bubbling, and it almost resembles a textured finish. The insignia 'whatever it may be' does in fact look old, but as map pointed out something from the 60s will show age.

I just wanted to post some more photos of this lid before making any irreversible decisions. This example is certainly making me scratch my head. I greatly value any opinions shared!

P.S.- Sorry for the quality of some of the photos. The weather today isn't cooperating.

Unknown Insignia On WWI StahlhelmUnknown Insignia On WWI StahlhelmUnknown Insignia On WWI StahlhelmUnknown Insignia On WWI StahlhelmUnknown Insignia On WWI StahlhelmUnknown Insignia On WWI StahlhelmUnknown Insignia On WWI StahlhelmUnknown Insignia On WWI Stahlhelm

?

It looks like the black is painted around the shield. Interesting, Latvian is a possibility, they did use M18s in the 1920s / 30s, but I can't find an image with a shield like this.

Steve.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast