Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

WW 1 German Camo helmet for review

Article about: A few weeks ago I posted a bunch of helmets that were being sold at auction. There were a lot of helmet collectors there, so I didn't get as many as I bid on. I did get a few though. One was

ww2fotos
    ?

Default WW 1 German Camo helmet for review

WW 1 German Camo helmet for reviewWW 1 German Camo helmet for reviewWW 1 German Camo helmet for review A few weeks ago I posted a bunch of helmets that were being sold at auction. There were a lot of helmet collectors there, so I didn't get as many as I bid on. I did get a few though. One was this WW 1 Camo. My question to you is: Is it real or repro? There are a few places where the paint has worn off over the years. The lighter color paint (at least) is aged quite nicely. but I understand that can be done today. The liner looks to be replaced. Two of the six fingers have "Hvo 5:59" printed on them. There is a piece of metal attached to the inside perimeter. The liner is attached to that piece of metal. The inside is painted dark green. If you rotate the strap it comes undone from it's holders. I'm sorry for the poor quality of my scans. I do not have a camera yet.
    Last edited by ww2fotos; 12-02-2010 at 12:41 AM.

2. # ADS

Default Re: WW 1 German Camo helmet for review

it is what it is,but what is it?...i think this has been repainted,perhaps long ago,,,with all the helmet fakers,and many are quite good,,,i would only purchase a camo helmet like this from an estate or vet,,,sometimes it is too difficult to determine the originality of any helmet offered on the internet...especially ones bought at auction with a "no money back guarantee" caveat...
    Last edited by militarymania; 12-02-2010 at 12:40 AM.

ww2fotos
    ?

How about all you helmet experts out there. Any opinions?

I would like to see some better pictures,It does not look like a period camo sorry.

?

Unfortunately these photos are far too grainy to give a decent opinion, if you can give some indication of how much they were it might help but thats not always the case, to me the paintwork is too good and the chin strap, the strap may have a m,arking giving date and where made if authentic plus can you give a better description of the "wire" you talk about, or do you mean the liner cord

ww2fotos
    ?

I was wrong, and changed the description, after I untied the liner, and looked at the inside better. The liner is attached to a piece of metal approx. 1" wide. This piece of metal goes all the way around the inside of the helmet. The piece of metal is held in place, as is the liner, with 3 split rivets, two in the front, and one in the back. I don't have any better photos, as I said before.
    Last edited by ww2fotos; 12-02-2010 at 03:02 AM.

?

ok, lets try and get some more info, does the helmet have any markings around the inside skirt, does the rear of the liner have pockets tied with thin cloth tape and what kind of padding is inside the pockets.

ww2fotos
    ?

Quote by davejb View Post
    ok, lets try and get some more info, does the helmet have any markings around the inside skirt, does the rear of the liner have pockets tied with thin cloth tape and what kind of padding is inside the pockets.
    I am quite certain the liner is a replacement. There are no pockets or padding. Does the "Hvo 5:59" ring any bells? The liner is in very good condition. The paint must be too thick inside, because i can see no numbers.

?

I cant be 100% but i think you may have a replica helmet thats been camoed and aged as i said its very difficult without clear and detailed photos, the no/s dont ring bells with me but someone else might have an idea.

This ought to be a German M17. These helmets were camouflaged after they arrived at the front. The basic colour has been factory applied. So the olive colour should be on the inside and outside. I mean to say the lighter coloured patches should also be factory olive. The troops then applied, by brush, the darker patches and the bordering. As far as I can make out the lighter patches are also brush applied. That makes me wary.

Have a look at the liner flaps. Are there pockets for the horse hair cushions? Is the leather whitish? Are the flaps sewn on the steel ring? After the factory aplied paint job the marking and size should still be easy to read. Look for two capitals and two figures. For instance ET 66.

As an afterthought, have a good look at the rear of the helmet, near the rim. There might be some indentations from markings. The shape of the helmet makes me say this.

If you put the helmet on a table does it wobble, or is the rim flat on the surface?

Good luck!

Cheers,
    Emile

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast